New Carlisle family fights to keep pet pot-bellied pig

Published: Thursday, March 09, 2017 @ 7:47 PM

A New Carlisle family has less than a month to get rid of their beloved 100-pound pot-bellied pig Olive.

City officials recently sent the family a letter telling them pigs of all types are considered livestock and not allowed to live inside city limits.

“She’s in our family; she’s like a dog, a cat,” said Misti Hedrick, who added that she plans to start a petition to bring changes to the livestock ban before voters as early as the August ballot. Meanwhile, Hedrick is seeking a temporary home for Olive.

Air Force responds to concerns from Trump over Air Force One costs

Published: Friday, March 24, 2017 @ 12:43 PM
Updated: Friday, March 24, 2017 @ 6:55 PM

The Air Force has put a general in a newly created post in charge of the development of the next Air Force One, which is under a Pentagon review after criticism of the plane’s costs from President Donald Trump.

The change shows how seriously the Air Force is taking criticism of a program that costs taxpayers billions of dollars.

Brig. Gen. Duke Richardson, who recently was selected for promotion to a second star, will be in charge of replacing the current fleet of two Air Force One Boeing 747s with a newer version of the jumbo jet, officials said.

Col. Donna Shipton, recently selected for promotion to a one-star general, will take over Richardson’s role as program executive officer of the Tanker Directorate. Both programs are managed at the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center headquartered at Wright-Patterson.

RELATED: Trump calls for canceling Air Force One in morning Tweet

Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said the post to oversee development of the next presidential aircraft was “newly created, given the recent high level interest in the program and desire to place the program under strong and effective senior general officer leadership.” The appointment took effect immediately, and Richardson also will oversee the Tanker Directorate until June.

“President Trump’s publicly expressed concerns about the potential cost of a new presidential aircraft undoubtedly had some impact on who the Air Force has chosen to manage the effort,” Loren B. Thompson, a senior defense analyst with the Virginia-based Lexington Institute and defense industry consultant said in an email “Air Force One is a symbol of national power and prestige, so the Air Force needed a manager who could navigate the political aspects as well as the technical side of the program.”

Trump has slammed the cost of a new Air Force One, saying it had more than a $4 billion price tag, and called for its cancellation in a Tweet in December prior to assuming the presidency.

Since then, he has met with Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenberg, who told reporters in January the aerospace giant would simplify and streamline requirements “all of which is going to provide a better airplane at a lower cost.”

Secretary of Defense James Mattis ordered a review of the program in January.

RELATED: Air Force seeking new Air Force Ones

The Air Force One program has a workforce of about 100 employees at Wright-Patterson. As of February, the Air Force had a $172 million contract for design and testing and had budgeted $2.7 billion through 2021. Final costs were expected by the end of the year for two Boeing 747-8s were expected to reach the presidential fleet in 2024.

Prior to Trump’s election, the White House had urgently pushed for an Air Force One replacement for the two Boeing 747-200s flying today, known as VC-25s in the Air Force.

“The real challenge and the challenge that is forcing us to buy newer aircraft for the president is to overcome the fact there are heroics going on every day to keep the current aircraft flying, and it’s becoming way too expensive and way too difficult to do that,” Kevin W. Buckley, program executive officer of mobility programs, said in an interview last fall with the Dayton Daily News.

Shipton, currently at the Pentagon as a senior assistant to the assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, will take ownership of ongoing development and the purchase of an expected fleet of 179 KC-46 aerial refueling tankers. Chicago-headquartered Boeing assembles the new tanker.

Cincinnati nightclub shooting: What we know now

Published: Sunday, March 26, 2017 @ 4:27 AM

Cincinnati nightclub shooting: What we know now

At least one person was killed and multiple people were hurt early Sunday when gunshots rang out at Cameo Night Club in Cincinnati, Ohio.

>> Read more trending news

>> Click here or scroll down for the latest

Wittenberg breaks ground on $40M sports complex

Published: Friday, March 24, 2017 @ 5:23 PM

SPRINGFIELD -- Wittenberg University leaders broke ground Friday on a $40 million indoor athletic facility that they hope will help with student recruitment and facilitate more connections with the Springfield community.

Among the features of the new 125,000 square-feet complex will be an indoor 100-yard artificial turf surface; a six-lane, 300-meter indoor track; a 7,000-square-foot weight room; a sport performance, strength training and wellness center; technology-enabled classroom space; updated locker rooms; and modern court surfaces for tennis, volleyball and basketball.

>>RELATED: First female Wittenberg science prof leaves $2.3M to university

“It will impact this community because of the opportunities that will avail themselves to different programming,” Interim President Dick Helton said.

Wittenberg is a major local employer with a total of more than 350 employees and an estimated $70 million economic impact on the Springfield community. But it has also made millions in cuts and is now on its third full-time president in about a decade.

The new complex, along with improvements to the 1929 Field House and the 1982 Health, Physical Education and Recreation Center, should help the university grow and retain students, he said.

For the full story, go to SpringfieldNewsSun.com.

1 of 5 Miami County home invasion suspects pleads guilty

Published: Friday, March 24, 2017 @ 3:06 PM

1 of 5 Miami County home invasion suspects pleads guilty

MIAMI COUNTY -- A Phillipsburg man charged in a September home invasion in which a Dayton man was shot pleaded guilty Friday, March 24, to felony conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary in county Common Pleas Court.

RELATED: The Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

Kristian Martinez, 23, was one of five men indicted in the invasion on North Montgomery County Line Road, thwarted when they charged through the front door and were confronted by the homeowner inside. Sheriff's deputies said shots were fired and the men quickly fled. 

RELATED: Two of five indicted in Miami County home invasion

One of the men, Keason Twitty, 25, was shot and found injured a short time later in a ditch. 

Twitty has pleaded guilty to charges in the case and is scheduled for sentencing in April.

Martinez will be sentenced May 2.