breaking news


Music city: Ampitheather coming to downtown Dayton

Published: Thursday, December 21, 2017 @ 4:14 PM


            .
.

After hitting a snag, the Levitt Pavilion Dayton project is back on track with today’s announcement that a contractor has been selected to build the outdoor amphitheater.

Shook Construction, based in Dayton, will build the music venue, with construction expected to begin by early next year.

Supporters say the pavilion should open in mid-summer of next year, allowing for a partial season of music programming, likely featuring about 30 shows.

The city of Dayton twice solicited bids for the pavilion, but the submitted proposals came in well above the projected $5 million construction budget.

But the

RELATED: Dayton tops L.A., Denver as fastest to $5M fundraising for pavilion

But the city leased the pavilion site at Dave Hall Plaza to the Dayton-Montgomery County Port Authority, which was able to negotiate lower prices with contractors, leading to an agreement that should prevent any further delays, officials said.

The Levitt Pavilion Dayton, which will offer at least 50 free concerts each year, is the centerpiece of efforts to transform the center of downtown into a thriving, urban neighborhood.

“We are excited to be moving into this next phase of the project, and closer to realizing the goal of creating and building a community asset to bring the Dayton region together one free concert at a time,” Jeff Ireland, Board chair for the Friends of Levitt Dayton.

The city issued a bid for the Levitt pavilion in July, as supporters of the project were getting close to completing a $5 million capital campaign to build the state-of-the-art music venue.

The campaign reached its goal by early August, but the city only received one bid that was nearly $2.7 million over the projected construction budget.

The city rebid the pavilion in September and received four responses, the base bids of which ranged from $5.8 million to $6.9 million.

Instead of rebidding the project a third time, the city leased the future Levitt property to the port authority, which as a quasi-governmental agency has more freedom to negotiate prices, said Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein.

Another round of solicitations could have delayed the project further, hurting next year’s concert season, Dickstein said.

Amazon announces final 20 cities in the running for second headquarters

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:59 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

Amazon Announces Cities Still In Consideration For Second Headquarters

Officials with technology giant Amazon on Thursday announced that the company has narrowed down its list of possible sites for its second headquarters to 20 metropolitan areas.

>> Read more trending news

The company said it got nearly 240 proposals from across the U.S. Canada and Mexico.

“All the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity,” Holly Sullivan, with Amazon Public Policy. “Through this process we learned about many new communities across North America that we will consider as locations for future infrastructure investment and job creation.”

Residents won’t have to vacate downtown Dayton apartments

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 4:26 PM


            The boiler in the Newcom apartment building at 255 N. Main St. in downtown was shut down because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, city officials said. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF
The boiler in the Newcom apartment building at 255 N. Main St. in downtown was shut down because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, city officials said. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

A Montgomery County Common Pleas judge has granted a temporary restraining order that blocks the city of Dayton from forcing some tenants to move out of a downtown apartment building that has a malfunctioning heating system.

RELATED: Dayton issues vacate order for downtown apartment building

Last week, city of Dayton housing inspection officials issued an emergency vacate order to residents at the Newcom Building, located at 255 N. Main St., citing “unsafe” living conditions.

The residents were ordered to move out by 4 p.m. today if the building’s owners had not repaired its heating system, which was shut off because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

NEW DETAILS: Witness saw husband, wife before her death, sheriff says

But about an hour before today’s deadline, Judge Richard Skelton granted the building’s owner, Howard Heck, a temporary restraining order on the condition he purchase small heating units for each apartment and get the boiler repaired or replaced in about a month.

Skeleton said he or court officials would stop by the Newcom building routinely to check on the temperatures inside the apartment building to make sure it is not too cold and check on the progress to repair the heating system.

“I am going to be watching this very closely,” he said.

This afternoon, Judge Skeleton presided over a hearing about the Newcom Building Company’s request for a restraining order and permanent injunction against the city of Dayton division of housing inspection.

MORE: Will a shutdown happen? Wright Patt in holding pattern

The seven-story apartment building’s boiler was shut down this month after fire crews determined it was releasing high levels of carbon monoxide, which can cause deadly poisoning.

But that left residents without a safe way to heat their homes, and city inspectors told the building owner to fix the boiler or they would board up the structure by this afternoon.

Seven tenants have left the apartment building after the emergency order was issued, leaving about 18 other occupied units, officials said.

Skelton said the owner has 30 days to fix the boiler, but could maybe get a “reasonable” extension if things are going OK and the temperature inside is satisfactory.

4 law enforcement officers shot in South Carolina; suspect in custody

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 5:30 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:26 AM

Photo credit: WSOCTV.com
WSOCTV.com
Photo credit: WSOCTV.com(WSOCTV.com)

WSOC-TV is following breaking news in York County, South Carolina, where officials said four law enforcement officers were shot overnight.

>> Click here or scroll down for more

>> Click here to watch the news report

Simone Biles latest gymnast to claim team doctor sexually abused her

Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 6:53 PM
Updated: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 8:06 PM

What You Need To Know About Larry Nassar

Simone Biles, who won four gold medals at the 2016 Summer Olympics, went on social media Monday and became the latest gymnast to claim that former team doctor Larry Nassar sexually abused her.

>> Read more trending news

“I am one of the many survivors who was sexually abused by Larry Nassar,” Biles, 20, wrote on Twitter. “Please believe me when I say it was a lot harder to first speak these words out loud than it is now to put them on paper.”

Nassar, who spent more than 20 years working at Michigan State University and as a physician for USA Gymnastics, has admitted to sexually assaulting gymnasts, ESPN reported. 

In December, Nassar was sentenced to 60 years in prison on charges of child pornography. He will be sentenced Tuesday for 10 state counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, ESPN reported. Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to those charges in November.

Nassar has been accused by more than 140 women and girls of sexual misconduct. That includes Olympic gymnasts Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman, CNN reported.

“For too long I’ve asked myself, ‘Was I too naive?’ ‘Was it my fault?’ I now know the answers to those questions,” Biles tweeted. “No. No, it was not my fault.

“No, I will not and should not carry the guilt that belongs to Larry Nassar, USAG (USA Gymnastics), and others .”

In her tweet, Biles also called Nassar’s behavior “completely unacceptable, disgusting and abusive.”

Raisman offered her support to Biles in a tweet. Raisman accused Nassar of sexual abuse in November.

“I stand with you,” Raisman tweeted.