breaking news


Man pleads guilty in Yellow Springs NYE incident

Published: Thursday, April 13, 2017 @ 4:51 PM

UPDATE @ 10:52 a.m. (April 14):

David Carlson pleaded guilty to three misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct as part of a plea agreement in Xenia Municipal Court.

As part of the agreement, felony charges against Carlson were dropped.

Carlson will not have to serve any time in jail and will not have to pay restitution.

He also was sentenced to two years probation.

UPDATE @ 10:18 a.m. (April 14):

The Yellow Springs Village Council is asking for charges against David Carlson to be dropped in relation to the New Year’s Eve Ball Drop event in the village.

“As you are aware, many mistakes were made by our local police officers that contributed to the unfortunate actions and outcomes associated with the 2016 YS New Year’s Eve Ball Drop,” Council President Karen Wintrow wrote to Greene County Prosecutor Stephen K. Haller. 

“Certainly this does not exculpate David Carlson’s behavior, but we do believe the circumstances established illustrate a context that explains the reported reactions and behaviors, which would be natural for any individual confronted with such documented aggression by a police officer,” she wrote.

RELATED: Report critical of Yellow Spring police New Year’s response

Wintrow said the council’s focus is to “move past these unfortunate incidents.”

ORIGINAL REPORT:

David Carlson has been charged with criminal offenses stemming from his conduct following the Yellow Springs New Year’s Eve ball drop event, according to a statement released through the Greene County Prosecutor’s Office this afternoon.


>>RELATED: Village retains attorney to investigate New Year’s Eve incident

A plea and sentencing hearing is set for Friday morning in Xenia Municipal Court, according to the prosecutor’s office.

According to an account of the incident, police officers on routine patrol during the event were involved in an altercation with Carlson after they said he refused to follow an officer’s commands.

“During this event this year, David Carlson, 29 years of age, appeared intoxicated and began leaning into the occupied cruiser of a Yellow Springs Police Officer. Carlson was told several times to move away from the door and Carlson failed to do so,” Police Chief Dave Hale said in a prepared statement released days after the incident.

Hale has since resigned. He said his officer eventually forced open the door and had his Taser in his hand.

According to Hale, Carlson then grabbed the Taser from the officer and fled into the crowd of several hundred spectators.

Officers chased Carlson and stopped him briefly. When another officer deployed their Taser unsuccessfully, Carlson got up and fled into the crowd again. Officers arrested Carlson when they responded to the Gulch, 128 Dayton St.

>>RELATED: Officer involved in New Year’s Eve incident resigns

We’re working for more information on this developing report. Stay with whio.com for breaking news.

Click here to download our free mobile apps for weather, breaking news and news updates.

State coming to Dayton Arcade to award tax credits

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 9:58 AM

In a good sign for the long vacant Dayton Arcade, the Ohio Development Services Agency is holding its announcement of the next round of state historic tax credits at the downtown complex.

The group that wants to redevelop the Dayton Arcade earlier this year applied for about $5 million in state historic tax credits after being turned down for the incentives in 2016.

RELATED: Dayton Arcade could house 2nd Warped Wing, Boston Stoker, DVAC

According to the official invitation, the Ohio Development Services Agency’s round 18 announcement of tax credit awards will take place at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the arcade building at 26 S. Ludlow St.

The development team that wants to rehab the massive complex has said obtaining tax credits is one of the last major pieces of the “capital stack” needed for the project to move forward.

RELATED: Arcade ‘very close’ to securing financing, developers say

The first phases of the arcade project (labeled the Fourth Street Project) are expected to cost more than $56 million and would transform three vacant historic buildings, according to the development team’s application requesting tax credits.

The Ludlow and Fourth Street buildings will offer 72 units of affordable housing, as well as ground floor commercial space.

The Commercial and Lindsey buildings also will be rehabbed to offer 54 affordable apartments, constructed above street-level restaurant space, the application states. The housing will be geared for artists and creative types, and the arcade will have studio spaces, an art gallery and other creative spaces. 

The rehab would convert the arcade’s three-story rotunda into an “innovation hub,” which is a collaboration between the University of Dayton and The Entrepreneurs Center.

The arcade would house classes, offices, meeting and co-working spaces and would allow students, faculty, businesses, start-ups and groups from higher education, research and the arts to work together, officials said.

RELATED: UD, Entrepreneurs Center join forces for Arcade project

“The proposed project will return the block to its rightful place as a vibrant hub in downtown Dayton, reimagined to serve a new audience for the 21st century, delivering substantial economic and community benefits in the process,” according to the application.

The arcade complex will be home to about 336 permanent jobs and the project would stimulate substantial new investment in that part of downtown, developers say.

The arcade’s tenants could include the second location of Warped Wing Brewery, a Boston Stoker Coffee Co. shop and the Dayton Visual Arts Center.

Other tenants could include a deli and grocer called Feelohs and a collection of pop-up restaurants and a kitchen incubator.

Supreme Court to hear arguments over Trump travel ban

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 10:33 AM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

File photo: Supreme Court of the United States
J. Scott Applewhite/AP

The Supreme Court on Monday announced that it would listen to arguments surrounding President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban during its October sitting.

>> Read more trending news

Man, 35 identified as victim of fatal Sidney crash

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 11:30 PM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 8:25 AM

Staff file photo

UPDATE @ 8:25 a.m. 

Sidney police said a 35-year-old man was killed in a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Ohio 47 and Royan Avenue late Saturday night. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Police said an initial investigation found a 2007 Chevrolet sedan, driven by Chadwick Amburgery, 36,  hit a minivan, driven by Stephanie Dowty, 27, attempting to make a right turn from Royan Avenue onto Ohio 47, Sidney police said in a media release. 

One of the occupants inside the car, identified as 35-year-old Michael Vest, sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. 

TRENDING: Naked, bloody man is suspect in hammer attack

Four occupants, including the driver Dowty, were in the minivan at the time of the crash. Three people, including the driver Amburgery, deceased passenger Vest, were in the sedan. 

Initial reports said multiple people from both vehicles were injured in the crash, but police did not indicate in their release if anyone else was injured. The identities and conditions of the others in both vehicles was also not released. 

Police said the crash remains under investigation, but alcohol and excess speed might have been contributing factors in the crash. 

Investigators said the findings of their investigation will be turned over to the Shelby County Prosecutor for review of potential charges. 

UPDATE @ 10:50 a.m. (June 25)

Police in Sidney continue to investigate a deadly crash that sent several people to the hospital Saturday night.

West Court Steet and Royan Avenue are back open to traffic after police finished their on-scene investigation.

The two-vehicle collision left one dead and several people from both vehicles were taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Police tell us further details about what happened, including the fatal victim’s identity, will be released Monday.

UPDATE @ 1:02 a.m. (June 25)

One person is dead following a crash in Sidney Saturday night, according to a release from Sidney police. 

Police and medics were sent to the 900 block of West Court Street after two cars collided at the intersection of Royan Avenue and West Court Street. 

According to the release, multiple people were in both cars and all were taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital. 

The coroner has been contacted for one person dead at the scene, according to police. 

Crews remain in the area and a traffic reconstructionist is currently investigating.

EARLIER REPORT (June 24)

Crews were called tonight to a report of a serious injury crash in Sidney.

The two-vehicle crash was reported around 11:15 p.m. in the 900 block of West Court Street.

According to initial reports, there were multiple injuries with CPR performed on one person. A crash reconstructionist was called to the scene.

We’re working to learn the severity of injuries, and what led to the crash.

VIDEO: Cruiser rolls away from Miami County deputy during traffic stop

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 11:04 PM

A Miami County Sheriff’s deputy was in pursuit of his cruiser Saturday morning after it got away during a traffic stop. 

The cruiser traveled backward around 11 a.m. on Ohio 718 and into the intersection with South Dorset Road in Concord Twp. near Troy. 

The deputy sprinted and was able to hop into the moving vehicle and stop the cruiser before it hit anyone or anything. 

The sheriff’s office said they were aware of the incident, but the deputy’s name and whether he will face disciplinary action was not released. 

An iWitness7 viewer shared a video of the incident. The video shot by Brenden Besecker shows the cruiser rolling backwards into the South Dorset Road intersection.

The Miami County Sheriff’s Office said they were aware of the incident, but we’re still working to learn the deputy’s name and whether he will face any disciplinary action.