log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 @ 9:27 AM
Updated: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 @ 11:11 AM
ATLANTA — Equifax CEO Richard Smith is out after the credit bureau reported a massive data breach earlier this month.
The move, described as a retirement, was made effective immediately on Tuesday. Paulino do Rego Barros Jr., the head of Equifax’s Asian operations, has been named interim CEO, and board member Mark Feidler has been named non-executive chairman.
Officials with the Atlanta-based credit reporting and technology company said a “cyber security incident” might have exposed the personal information of 143 million Americans.
Hackers exploited a software glitch to gain access to the trove of personal data, the company said. Equifax disclosed earlier this month that the data breach was discovered in July and believed to have taken place from mid-May to July.
The data believed to have been accessed included names, Social Security numbers, birth dates and addresses.
In a statement, Feidler said, “The Board remains deeply concerned about and totally focused on the cybersecurity incident.”
“We are working intensely to support consumers and make the necessary changes to minimize the risk that something like this happens again,” he said. “We have formed a Special Committee of the Board to focus on the issues arising from the incident and to ensure that all appropriate actions are taken.”
Smith had been Equifax's CEO since 2005.
In a statement, Smith called his tenure at Equifax “an honor, and I’m indebted to the 10,000 Equifax employees who have dedicated their lives to making this a better company.”
Although many analysts had applauded Equifax's performance under Smith, he and the rest of his management team had come under fire for lax security and its response to the breach.
Smith is expected to testify before Congress in early October.
WSBTV obtained video of the Smith speaking to students and faculty at the University of Georgia last month, after the company’s massive data breach occurred but before the company disclosed it.
The company didn’t disclose the breach until Sept. 7.
The Associated Press, Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:59 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:52 AM
— Officials with technology giant Amazon on Thursday announced that the company has narrowed down its list of possible sites for its second headquarters to 20 metropolitan areas.
The company said it got nearly 240 proposals from across the U.S. Canada and Mexico.
Today we are announcing the communities that will proceed to the next step in the HQ2 process. Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity https://t.co/x1bFYbk4Ui pic.twitter.com/J2x0HHzBTR— Amazon News (@amazonnews) January 18, 2018
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 5:30 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:26 AM
Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 6:53 PM
Updated: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 8:06 PM
— Simone Biles, who won four gold medals at the 2016 Summer Olympics, went on social media Monday and became the latest gymnast to claim that former team doctor Larry Nassar sexually abused her.
“I am one of the many survivors who was sexually abused by Larry Nassar,” Biles, 20, wrote on Twitter. “Please believe me when I say it was a lot harder to first speak these words out loud than it is now to put them on paper.”
Nassar, who spent more than 20 years working at Michigan State University and as a physician for USA Gymnastics, has admitted to sexually assaulting gymnasts, ESPN reported.
In December, Nassar was sentenced to 60 years in prison on charges of child pornography. He will be sentenced Tuesday for 10 state counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, ESPN reported. Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to those charges in November.
Nassar has been accused by more than 140 women and girls of sexual misconduct. That includes Olympic gymnasts Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman, CNN reported.
“For too long I’ve asked myself, ‘Was I too naive?’ ‘Was it my fault?’ I now know the answers to those questions,” Biles tweeted. “No. No, it was not my fault.
“No, I will not and should not carry the guilt that belongs to Larry Nassar, USAG (USA Gymnastics), and others .”
In her tweet, Biles also called Nassar’s behavior “completely unacceptable, disgusting and abusive.”
Raisman offered her support to Biles in a tweet. Raisman accused Nassar of sexual abuse in November.
“I stand with you,” Raisman tweeted.
I am so proud of you. You are incredible Simone. I stand with you. I am shaking reading your post. I know we will all get through this together. https://t.co/Ziec5Fkhwv— Alexandra Raisman (@Aly_Raisman) January 15, 2018
Published: Sunday, January 07, 2018 @ 1:06 AM
Updated: Sunday, January 07, 2018 @ 10:53 AM
— Did you buy your Powerball ticket in New Hampshire for Saturday's drawing? You could be $570 million richer.
The winning ticket was sold at Reeds Ferry Market in Merrimack, according to Maura McCann, a spokeswoman with the New Hampshire Lottery.
The winning numbers were 12, 29, 30, 33 and 61, with a Powerball number of 26.