Dayton tax returns bounce back after postal error

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 11:14 AM
Updated: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 7:26 PM

Dayton government officials blamed a postal error as the reason some city tax returns mailed to a PO box in Akron bounced back to senders as undeliverable.

Dayton individual income tax forms directed residents and workers to mail their tax returns to a postal box in Akron if they did not owe any additional taxes or requested a refund.

But at least 15 tax filers have said they had their letters returned as undeliverable, according to city estimates.

RELATED: Dayton voters pass income tax increase

The number could be higher — nearly 2,000 filers received refunds last year — but city officials believe the problem was limited to items postmarked on just one day.

The city said Friday the issue appears to be on the post office’s end and indicated the Akron office was looking into the matter.

The city instructed taxpayers whose returns could not be delivered to send the documents and the original mailing envelope directly to the city to avoid being counted as late.

David Van Allen, an Ohio spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service, said the PO box is active and accepting deliveries and a piece of mail that was returned and he reviewed appeared to result from an “anomalous” service error.

“We apologize for the inconvenience,” he said.

MORE: Developers plan more housing for downtown Dayton

The city of Dayton on Friday posted a special notice on its website about tax returns mailed to PO Box 7999 in Akron. The notice was posted after this news organization contacted the city to inquire about potential issues.

The city received roughly 15 calls from taxpayers this week about their tax returns bouncing back, said Toni Bankston, city of Dayton spokeswoman.

The city uses a vendor in Akron to process refunds, and the vendor checked on the issue with the post office and indicated a small number of customers were affected, Bankston said.

The vendor confirmed Friday morning that mail was being accepted at the PO box as normal, the city and postal service said.

The issue evidently occurred on April 17, based on the postage stamps, Bankston said, but most returns sent to the Akron PO box were accepted and processed correctly.

In 2016, an estimated 27,235 tax returns were filed with the city of Dayton, which includes returns from both businesses and individual taxpayers, according to data obtained by this newspaper.

MORE: Dayton got $57M in decade from program on Trump’s chopping block

The city issued more than 1,920 refunds to businesses and individuals last year, totalling about $2.6 million.

The impacted taxpayers will not be assessed a penalty or interest, but the returns should be mailed back within 15 days, Bankston said.

Citizens whose returns bounced back should mail their tax forms and the original envelopes they used to: City of Dayton, Division of Tax and Accounting, PO Box 2806, Dayton, OH, 45401.

Customers with mail concerns can call the U.S. Postal Service at 1-800-ASK-USPS.

Miami County man accused of being in meth ring is on his way to prison

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 6:04 PM

Mario Segura (Courtesy/Miami County Jail)

TROY – A third person arrested last year as being part of a drug ring county authorities said brought large amounts of methamphetamine and heroin into area counties, including Miami, has pleaded guilty to a series of felonies. 

Mario Segura, 33, of Tipp City, admitted to 21 counts as part of a plea agreement in county Common Pleas Court on Friday. 

He admitted to the following:

  • Engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity (1 count), 
  • Conspiracy to engage in a pattern of corrupt activity (1 count)
  • Drug possession (cocaine) (1 count) 
  • Money laundering (3 counts)
  • Aggravated funding of drug trafficking (15 counts) 

The indictment issued last year indicated the criminal activity occurred in 2013.

>>RELATED: A Miami County hospital reports an increase in drug overdoses

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors will recommend a three-year prison term. Segura’s sentencing was scheduled for May 30. 

His brother, Erick Segura, 24, also of Tipp City, was sentenced April 17 to 10 years in prison after pleading to 34 felony charges. 

Jose Barajas, 34, formerly of Huber Heights and Dayton, pleaded to four felonies. His sentencing is scheduled for April 26. 

Erick Segura’s wife, Aleesha Segura, 22, also was arrested. She has pleaded not guilty.

Vehicle reportedly slams into tree in Darke County; Care Flight called

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 8:30 PM

PALESTINE, Darke County -- Care Flight has been called for the driver of a vehicle that reportedly slammed into a tree on a rural road in this Darke County village.

The accident was dispatched to the 7400 block of Palestine Union City Road just before 8 p.m. and the victim is said to have suffered a head injury. 

We're hearing that the Darke County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

>>RELATED: What do you do if you see an erratic driver?

Click here to download our free mobile app for breaking news, news updates and weather.

Clark County sheriff’s dispatcher accused of misusing police property

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 5:08 PM
Updated: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 6:31 PM

(UPDATED @ 6:25 p.m.) A Springfield man is free on bond, accused of a felony on a charge accusing him of misusing a database used by law enforcement for investigative purposes while he was a Clark County sheriff's dispatcher. 

Troy Orndorff, 45, was arrested Wednesday and released on a signature bond (no cash) Friday morning after his arraignment in Clark County Municipal Court on the charge of unauthorized use of property. 

Orndorff has resigned from the sheriff’s office, Chief Deputy Travis Russell said Friday afternoon.

“He is no longer associated with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office,” Russell said, declining further comment.

According to an affidavit filed in court, Orndorff is accused of knowingly accessing information from the law enforcement automated data system -- referred to as LEADS in law enforcement parlance -- without consent of his supervisors and for no law enforcement reason. 

>>RELATED: Springfield Twp. fire cadet instructor accused of sex crimes

Orndorff performed searches on at least five people April 4 and 5, he told an investigator, because he was bored. 

According to the affidavit, investigators had probable cause to believe a crime had been committed and on Tuesday, April 18, asked for a LEADS audit trail scan of Orndorff's activities. 

That same day, Orndorff admitted to his supervisor that he was scrolling through the master file index and came across five people he thought he knew, so he ran their Social Security numbers to view their photos. 

According to the affidavit, Orndorff told his supervisor he "was bored and made a bad decision by going against LEADS policy" when he ran the information of the five people "for no law enforcement purpose." 

What is LEADS?

According to the Ohio Revised Code, LEADS is part of a computer network that provides data and communications for criminal justice agencies within the state. 

LEADS is administered by the Ohio Highway Patrol superintendent. LEADS does not include data and files separately collected and maintained by intrastate regional systems or other individual user systems. 

LEADS utilizes out-of-state inquiries about persons, vehicles or licenses. Law enforcement, courts and prosecutors can query on driving records, vehicle ownership, stolen property, missing persons, warrants and parole statuses. Driver's license images and criminal histories also can be viewed. 

We're working to learn more about this developing report and we'll give you an update when that information becomes available. 

Police nab Springfield Twp. firefighter instructor accused of sex abuse

Published: Thursday, April 20, 2017 @ 4:08 PM
Updated: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 5:23 PM

SPRINGFIELD TWP. — UPDATE @ 11 a.m. (April 21) Jonathan Scott Monroe appeared in court and pleaded not guilty. A judge set bond at $100,000.

UPDATE @ 9:54 a.m. (April 21)

Springfield police have arrested Jonathan Monroe, the former Springfield Twp. firefighter accused of sexually assaulting teens in the fire department's cadet program. Monroe was arrested this morning and is expected to appear in Clark County Municipal Court today to be arraigned on charges of rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition, compelling prostitution and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

UPDATE @ 5:21 p.m. (April 20) 

A 23-year-old man is wanted on multiple charges accusing him of rape and sexual battery involving minors enrolled in the Springfield Twp. Fire Department cadet program. 

According to an affidavit filed in Clark County Municipal Court this afternoon, Jonathan Scott Monroe -- a training instructor and cadet adviser at the time of the alleged offenses -- is accused of the following: 

  • Victim 1: Rape, gross sexual imposition, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and sexual battery 
  • Victim 2: Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and sexual battery  
  • Victim 3: Sexual battery  
  • Victim 4: Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and compelling prostitution

The charges involve four victims — who now are 15 years to 17 years old — under whom he had authority as their training instructor. 

An arrest warrant was filed for Monroe after he had agreed on April 18 to surrender to authorities and failed to do so. 

>>GOT A TIP? Call our 24-hour line, 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

On April 5, Monroe came to the Springfield Police Division and asked to speak with detectives. It was then that he admitted he committed the crimes through access he had with the children through the cadet program. 

According to the affidavit, Monroe told police Detective Sandra Fent he was 15 or 16 years old when he first sexually touched one of the victims, a 9-year-old boy, at random times for roughly six years. 

The last occurrence was in March, Monroe told the detective, and he offered the boy $40 to engage in sexual touching.

Monroe said he and a second victim touched sexually only once, about a year ago.

He told authorities he engaged in sex with another of the victims 10 or more times in the child's bedroom. 

Monroe told authorities he "can't even begin to guess how money he paid" a fourth victim, with whom he engaged in sexual conduct in March. That victim was 15 at the time.

About 5 p.m., we learned from the Springfield Twp. trustees that Monroe resigned as a volunteer firefighter, though the date of his resignation is not immediately known.

The trustees said they would have no further comment.

Click here to download our free mobile apps for breaking news, news updates and weather.