Dayton, Cincy team up to lure Amazon’s $5B headquarters

Published: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

            FILE PHOTO

Dayton and Cincinnati are teaming up to try to sell Amazon on the southwest Ohio region as the company hunts for a location for its $5 billion second headquarters.

Dayton’s and Cincinnati’s applications to Amazon will emphasize the “uber region” that sits between the two cities and how how the combined Dayton-Cincinnati area is the 15th largest region in the United States, said Shelley Dickstein, Dayton city manager.

“The application is a collaborative one that supports a mutual outcome for Amazon coming to Cincinnati-Dayton region,” she said.

RELATED: Dayton plans to pursue Amazon’s $5B headquarters

Some business analysts and journalists ruled out Dayton as a possible landing spot for the new headquarters for being too small and lacking other traits Amazon wants.

But the combined Dayton-Cincinnati region has a huge variety of assets that could impress and lure Amazon, officials and elected leaders said.

The city of Dayton has a collection of sites that could work as Amazon’s new home, and so does Cincinnati and other parts of the southwest Ohio region, which will be promoted collaboratively, Dickstein said.

The southwest Ohio region is not alone in its communities making a joint pitch to Amazon. Some communities and jurisdictions in California, New York and other states are banding together in the hopes it will improve their desirability.

The short distance separating Dayton and Cincinnati means there are opportunities to try to grow the cities strategically to improve their connectivity and economic and market strength, officials said.

Dayton and Cincinnati is going to become more like the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn., and Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas, city officials said.

“Keep in mind that we’re talking about 50,000 jobs, so should we win this bid, there will be people coming from both the Dayton and Cincinnati areas to work there,” said Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley.

Amazon, based in Seattle, Wash., expects to spend more than $5 billion to build a second headquarters that could employ 50,000 or more people with annual salaries of $100,000 or more.

Amazon employs more than 40,000 people at its original headquarters. Amazon says its investments led to $38 billion in additional spending.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton officer disciplined for investigation involving child who later died

Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

2-year-old Brayden Ferguson, the subject of a felonious assault case in Dayton, died Feb. 14, 2017. (COURTESY/FAMILY)
2-year-old Brayden Ferguson, the subject of a felonious assault case in Dayton, died Feb. 14, 2017. (COURTESY/FAMILY)

The city of Dayton last month punished a police detective for failing to properly investigate an alleged incident of child abuse involving Brayden Ferguson, a 2-year-old boy who officials say died of multiple blunt-force injuries from a later incident.

City officials accused Dayton police Detective Lindsay Dulaney of not thoroughly investigating a felonious assault and child endangering incident involving Brayden from 2015, according to records in her personnel file, obtained by this news organization using Ohio’s public records laws.

TRENDING: Fuyao vows to work closely with investigators after worker crushed to death

Brayden died of multiple blunt force injuries on Feb. 14, 2017.

The coroner ruled his death a homicide, and authorities arrested and charged 23-year-old Ryan Luke St. John with murder and other crimes.

RELATED: Boyfriend charged with murder in 2-year-old’s death

Previously, St. John was arrested in November 2015 after police received a report of suspected child abuse from a case worker, according to a police report.

Detective Dulaney worked on the case, which involved the then-1-year-old Brayden. St. John and Brayden’s mother have a child together.

Last month, city officials charged Dulaney with administrative violations for allegedly not properly investigating the child abuse allegations, according to a disciplinary records in her personnel file.

TRENDING: Murder suspect tells police his dad hit him with a fireplace poker, so he cut the man’s throat

She was charged for failing to properly supplement her police report and for failing to respond to a prosecutor’s requests for additional information about the St. John child abuse case from 2015, the records show.

She received requests about the case from a prosecutor in November 2015, May 2016 and August 2016, the records indicate.

Dulaney was found guilty of multiple administrative violations and was given the punishment of 40 hours of suspension.

In lieu of suspension, however, Dulaney chose to forfeit five days of vacation time.

Attempts to reach Dulaney have been unsuccessful.

The city says it does not comment on personnel matters.

MORE: UD’s St. Patrick’s Day revelry moves indoors after officers in riot gear push back crowds

Bryan St. John, Ryan St. John’s father, told this news organization on Wednesday that Brayden’s injuries were nine to 14 days old and in the healing process when he was medically examined. 

He said prosecutors point to the 2015 incident as proof that his son had a history of abusing children even though he was not charged and the evidence did not suggest he was responsible.

Bryan St. John said his son has turned down plea deals because he insists he is innocent and did not kill Brayden.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Maryland school shooting: Gunman killed, 2 injured at Great Mills High School

Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 11:34 AM
Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 11:34 AM

VIDEO: Shooting Reported At Maryland High School

A student who opened fire on a classmate at Maryland’s Great Mills High School died Tuesday morning after injuring two people, St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron said at a news conference.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Gone lickety-split: New downtown Dayton homes sell out

Published: Thursday, March 15, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

Simms new housing is almost sold out

The 14 new City View townhouses have sold out just about 13 months after hitting the market, making it Charlie Simms’ fastest downtown housing project to run out of product.

City View was Charles Simms Development’s sixth downtown housing project. Simms’ first project — the Patterson Square town homes, built in 2011 — took a couple of years to sell out.

Simms Development released pricing of the City View homes in February 2017, meaning it sold out four months quicker than its Brownstones at 2nd project.

RELATED: New downtown Dayton housing fetching $200 per square foot

“We would consider this a record sellout in all aspects for a downtown development,” said Robi Simms, vice president of sales and marketing with Charles Simms Development.

The homes sold out quickly even though they commanded much higher prices than Simms’ earlier housing.

The Patterson Square townhomes, at East First Street and North Patterson Boulevard, started at about $139,900, or about $100 per square foot. The City View homes, located a few blocks away on South Patterson Boulevard, have been selling for almost $200 per square foot.

The pricing of the Brownstones at 2nd were $200,000 and up range, while the City View homes have sold in the mid to upper-$300,000 range.

RELATED: Buyers snap up urban townhouses in downtown Dayton

The exterior of the City View homes is urban and modern. This was a departure for Simms, whose five previous downtown projects were traditional-style brownstones and brick homes.

Simms last month told this newspaper he intended to continue building new homes downtown for the foreseeable future. He said the demand for new housing in the urban center far outstrips the supply.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prosecutors seeking death penalty against Nikolas Cruz, confessed Parkland gunman 

Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

Confessed Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz appears in court for a status hearing before Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer on February 19, 2018 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Cruz is facing 17 charges of premeditated murder in the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.  
Pool/Getty Images
Confessed Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz appears in court for a status hearing before Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer on February 19, 2018 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Cruz is facing 17 charges of premeditated murder in the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. (Pool/Getty Images)

Florida prosecutors will ask for the death penalty for confessed Parkland school gunman Nikolas Cruz, State Attorney Michael Satz said Tuesday. 

>> Read more trending news 

Satz said he filed a "notice of intent to seek death" in the 17 first-degree murder counts stemming from the Feb. 14 rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 14 students and three adults dead.

Cruz is also charged with attempted murder in the shootings of 17 others who survived.

Cruz is scheduled for an arraignment Wednesday on the murder and attempted murder charges.

Cruz offered to plead guilty to the charges several weeks ago if prosecutors removed the death penalty from the table.

>>Related: Senior at Parkland high school recalls moments when gunman opened fire

If he does reach a plea deal with prosecutors, the only other option for Cruz is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

What You Need to Know: ENOUGH National School Walkout

Trending - Most Read Stories