Company reportedly buying downtown Dayton PNC bank building

Published: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 11:25 AM


            Quebec-based Olymbec reportedly will buy the PNC bank building at 6 N. Main St. STAFF/CORNELIUS FROLIK
Quebec-based Olymbec reportedly will buy the PNC bank building at 6 N. Main St. STAFF/CORNELIUS FROLIK

A Canadian company that bought and quickly filled an underused office tower in downtown Dayton is looking to expand its presence in the urban core.

Quebec-based Olymbec reportedly told a group of people Thursday that it is buying the PNC bank building at 6 N. Main St., which the financial company vacated when it moved into a new office building in the Water Street District.

MORE: Dayton, Cincy team up for bid on Amazon’s new $5B headquarters

A company representative made the announcement Thursday during a downtown development tour, according to multiple people who attended the event. The PNC signage on the front of the building was removed Thursday.

This news organization has contacted Olymbec to seek comments.

The PNC Bank building only has a few tenants remaining, including CityWide, Business Furniture and law firm Bieser, Greer & Landis LLP.

The seven-story building, which opened in 1981, was designed by I. M. Pei, a famous Chinese American architect whose other work includes the famous glass and metal pyramid entrance at the Louvre Museum in Paris, France, and the JFK Library in Massachusetts.

The seven-story PNC Bank building, once the Gem Savings building, has a massive atrium and many rows of windows that face Courthouse Square.

“It’s the most functional office building in town and the best downtown office building and it’s beautiful architecturally,” said David Greer, partner with Bieser, Greer & Landis.

RELATED: Hundreds of jobs moving to downtown fuels confidence in office market

Olymbec purchased the 11-story 111 W. First St. office tower in 2016 with plans to renovate the building to attract new tenants.

That acquisition paid off when Taylor Communications — formerly Standard Register — agreed to lease eight floors of the building to move 500 or more employees into the Central Business District.

Earlier this year, Olymbec’s vice president of leasing Michael Matthews told this newspaper that his company was bullish on downtown and was looking to buy more properties.

RELATED: Taylor Communications to move hundreds of workers downtown

Office buildings in Dayton are cheap to buy, and new and successful housing downtown points to continued urban renewal, he said.

“We think the arrow is pointing up for Dayton,” Matthews said.

Greene County man targeted in raid sued federal government twice

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 6:24 PM

JOEL MONTGOMERY
JOEL MONTGOMERY

The Greene County man whose house was raided by law enforcement for the second time in two years Thursday morning is a former Wright-Patterson Air Force Base employee who twice sued the federal government, according to court documents.

RELATED: Property owner arrest prompts FBI search warrant in Greene County

Both suits ended with a stipulation of dismissal filed in August 2014, more than a year before a 2015 raid at Joel B. Montgomery’s Spring Valley home. That search revealed more than 170 weapons, some being fully automatic, according to the Greene County Sheriff’s Office. No federal criminal charges show up in publicly-available online federal court records.

RELATED: Dozens of firearms seized in Greene County 

This news organization has attempted to reach the lawyers involved in Montgomery’s lawsuits.

Montgomery, 48, sued the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the United States Air Force, the Air Force’s office of special investigation and some individuals alleging unlawful electronic surveillance of him, according to a complaint filed in 2013 in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

In that lawsuit, Montgomery said he found a GPS device underneath his vehicle, a camera in the WPAFB office in which he worked and a bug in his home, all from 2006 to 2007. At the time, Montgomery said he had certain security clearance and worked for the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC) and at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), according to the complaint.

In 2007, Montgomery sued General Dynamics, the U.S. Dept. of Defense, the Air Force and an individual for slanderous material that caused him to lose his job and for his company, M and M Aviation, to lose its Air Force contract dealing with “Tactical and Theater Missile Warning Systems,” according to that complaint.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Montgomery’s suit said that from 2002 to 2004 he was a program manager in charge of the Electro-Optical Materials Intelligence Group of GDAIS, a Dept. of Defense contractor. The complaint said that because of derogatory information, Montgomery was placed on leave without pay and later terminated.

United passenger dragged from plane reaches settlement with airline

Published: Thursday, April 27, 2017 @ 3:19 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 27, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

VIDEO: Passenger Removed From United Airlines Flight

A Kentucky doctor who made headlines earlier this month when he was dragged off a United Airlines flight in Chicago has settled with the airline, attorneys said Thursday in a news release.

>> Read more trending stories

Dr. David Dao suffered numerous injuries when he was dragged off a flight bound for Kentucky on April 9 after refusing to give up his seat.

The confrontation between Dao, 69, and three Chicago Department of Aviation officers was caught on video by passengers on the flight. The footage quickly spread on social media.

>> Related: United passenger suffered broken nose, teeth while being dragged from plane

Attorneys for Dao declined to share details of the settlement, citing a confidentiality provision in the agreement. Attorney Thomas Demetrio praised Oscar Munoz, CEO of United's parent company, in a statement.

"Mr. Munoz said he was going to do the right thing, and he has," Demetrio said. "In addition, United has taken full responsibility for what happened on Flight 3411, without attempting to blame others, including the city of Chicago. For this acceptance of corporate accountability, United is to be applauded."

Dao was hospitalized for days after the incident on Flight 3411 with injuries that included a severe concussion, a broken nose and an unspecified injury to his sinuses. He lost two front teeth in the scuffle, Demetrio said.

WATCH: Attorneys for United Airlines Passenger Dragged from Plane

"Dr. Dao has become the unintended champion for the adoption of changes which will certainly help improve the lives of literally millions of travelers," Demetrio said.

The settlement was reached on the same day United announced policy changes aimed at preventing a similar situation from happening to other passengers. Among the changes was the announcement that the airline will offer travelers as much as $10,000 to give up their seats on overbooked flights.

>> Related:United unveils 10 policy changes, will pay bumped passengers up to $10,000

Previously, the airline would offer up to $1,350, according to Bloomberg.

A number of other airlines also announced policy changes aimed at offering passengers more incentive to delay flights in cases of overbooking and to ensure that they are not taken off planes after boarding.

United's response in the immediate aftermath of the confrontation was widely criticized. Munoz first defended the airline and described Dao as "belligerent" before publicly apologizing days later and vowing to do better.

The officers who pulled Dao from the United flight were placed on leave after the incident.

>> Related: Police who dragged passenger from United flight stand by use of force

The agency released a report on Monday in which the officer who pulled Dao from his seat, James Long, gave his version of events. Long said Dao was verbally and physically abusive and was flailing his arms before he lost his balance and struck his mouth on an armrest.

The department's roughly 300 officers guard the city's two main airports but are not part of the regular Chicago police force. They receive less training than police officers do and cannot carry guns inside the terminals.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Nickel a pill: Mayor Whaley’s prescription painkiller surcharge plan

Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 11:10 AM


            Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley proposed new state surcharges for prescription pain medicine to combat the opioid crisis. STAFF
Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley proposed new state surcharges for prescription pain medicine to combat the opioid crisis. STAFF

Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democratic candidate for Ohio governor, today proposed charging a nickel per dose surcharge for every prescription painkiller pill sold in the state.

State data show that 631 million doses of opioids were distributed in Ohio, and a nickel surcharge would generate $31.5 million per year to increase funding for local police and fire responders, substance abuse stabilization centers and state psychiatric hospitals, Whaley said.

“With those dollars, we will return resources to our communities they so desperately need to fight this epidemic,” she said.

RELATED: City of Dayton sues drug makers for role in overdose epidemic

Ohio would be the first state in the nation to take this action, Whaley said, though Washington and California lawmakers have proposed similar types of legislation that would tax or charge opiate makers to pay for addiction prevention and treatment programs.

Dayton was the first city in Ohio and the fourth nationwide to sue drug companies, distributors and doctors that city officials say were responsible for the crisis.

During her announcement this morning, Whaley pointed to a joint investigation by the Washington Post and 60 Minutes that found that Congress, after a large lobbying effort, weakened federal law enforcement’s ability to go after drug distributors even as opioid-related deaths surged.

A law passed by Congress made it “virtually impossible” for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to freeze suspicious narcotic shipments from drug companies, according to the investigation.

Whaley criticized Congress for stripping power from federal law enforcement, remarking that Congress took “the E out of the DEA.”

2 children killed, 1 man hurt in Colorado stabbing

Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 @ 6:55 AM

2 Children Killed And 1 Man Hurt After Stabbing In Colorado

Two children were killed and one man injured in a stabbing early Tuesday in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

>> Read more trending news 

>> Click here or scroll down for more