log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 @ 9:13 PM
UPDATE @ 6:30 p.m. (Jan. 12): The 16-year-old boy was hit as he tried to retrieve his puppy, who had gotten loose as they were headed to a store, his mother said Thursday.
Rosalind Boone said her son is on crutches and the 6-week-old puppy's hind legs were shattered. The pup was taken to the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center.
"All the other cars stopped and my son went to get the puppy and the other car that the man was driving he sped up real fast and he hit my son and he hit the dog then he kept on going," Boone told News Center 7's James Buechele.
"I just thank God that my son didn't get injured too, too bad," Boone said.
"You know you hit an innocent puppy and you hit a 16-year-old kid and you didn't have no remorse you just kept going," she said, in a sort of plea to the driver.
Dayton police are looking for that driver.
If you saw the accident or have information about it that could help police, you are asked to call Dayton police at 333-COPS or Crime Stoppers at 222-STOP.
FIRST REPORT (Jan. 11)
A 16-year-old boy hit by a car in the 2800 block of North Main Street has been taken to Grandview Medical Center.
He suffered leg and hip injuries, according to the preliminary report from police at the scene.
Dayton police and a fire/medic unit were dispatched about 8:38 p.m. on a report of a pedestrian strike.
Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:22 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:52 AM
— Officials with technology giant Amazon on Thursday announced that the company has narrowed down its list of possible sites for its second headquarters to 20 metropolitan areas.
The company said it got nearly 240 proposals from across the U.S. Canada and Mexico.
Today we are announcing the communities that will proceed to the next step in the HQ2 process. Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity https://t.co/x1bFYbk4Ui pic.twitter.com/J2x0HHzBTR— Amazon News (@amazonnews) January 18, 2018
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 4:26 PM
A Montgomery County Common Pleas judge has granted a temporary restraining order that blocks the city of Dayton from forcing some tenants to move out of a downtown apartment building that has a malfunctioning heating system.
Last week, city of Dayton housing inspection officials issued an emergency vacate order to residents at the Newcom Building, located at 255 N. Main St., citing “unsafe” living conditions.
The residents were ordered to move out by 4 p.m. today if the building’s owners had not repaired its heating system, which was shut off because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
But about an hour before today’s deadline, Judge Richard Skelton granted the building’s owner, Howard Heck, a temporary restraining order on the condition he purchase small heating units for each apartment and get the boiler repaired or replaced in about a month.
Skeleton said he or court officials would stop by the Newcom building routinely to check on the temperatures inside the apartment building to make sure it is not too cold and check on the progress to repair the heating system.
“I am going to be watching this very closely,” he said.
This afternoon, Judge Skeleton presided over a hearing about the Newcom Building Company’s request for a restraining order and permanent injunction against the city of Dayton division of housing inspection.
The seven-story apartment building’s boiler was shut down this month after fire crews determined it was releasing high levels of carbon monoxide, which can cause deadly poisoning.
But that left residents without a safe way to heat their homes, and city inspectors told the building owner to fix the boiler or they would board up the structure by this afternoon.
Seven tenants have left the apartment building after the emergency order was issued, leaving about 18 other occupied units, officials said.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 5:30 AM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:26 AM
Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 6:53 PM
Updated: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 8:06 PM
— Simone Biles, who won four gold medals at the 2016 Summer Olympics, went on social media Monday and became the latest gymnast to claim that former team doctor Larry Nassar sexually abused her.
“I am one of the many survivors who was sexually abused by Larry Nassar,” Biles, 20, wrote on Twitter. “Please believe me when I say it was a lot harder to first speak these words out loud than it is now to put them on paper.”
Nassar, who spent more than 20 years working at Michigan State University and as a physician for USA Gymnastics, has admitted to sexually assaulting gymnasts, ESPN reported.
In December, Nassar was sentenced to 60 years in prison on charges of child pornography. He will be sentenced Tuesday for 10 state counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, ESPN reported. Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to those charges in November.
Nassar has been accused by more than 140 women and girls of sexual misconduct. That includes Olympic gymnasts Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman, CNN reported.
“For too long I’ve asked myself, ‘Was I too naive?’ ‘Was it my fault?’ I now know the answers to those questions,” Biles tweeted. “No. No, it was not my fault.
“No, I will not and should not carry the guilt that belongs to Larry Nassar, USAG (USA Gymnastics), and others .”
In her tweet, Biles also called Nassar’s behavior “completely unacceptable, disgusting and abusive.”
Raisman offered her support to Biles in a tweet. Raisman accused Nassar of sexual abuse in November.
“I stand with you,” Raisman tweeted.
I am so proud of you. You are incredible Simone. I stand with you. I am shaking reading your post. I know we will all get through this together. https://t.co/Ziec5Fkhwv— Alexandra Raisman (@Aly_Raisman) January 15, 2018