log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, November 03, 2017 @ 12:46 AM
— Feeding Americans’ insatiable appetite for exclusive deals, Amazon has decided not to keep its online shoppers waiting until Black Friday. Instead, the digital shopping juggernaut kicked off its Black Friday deals Nov. 1.
The early launch of Black Friday is a part of Amazon’s “50 Days of Holiday Deals” campaign, which will encompass deals on toys, electronics, home goods and a variety of hottest gifts.
“Customers shop Amazon year-round for our great prices, unbelievable selection, and free shipping on over 100 million products,” Doug Herrington, Amazon’s senior vice president of North American Retail, said in a statement.
“During the holiday season, customers love to discover great deals and must-have holiday gifts for friends and family.”
Beginning Nov. 8, Prime members will also have access to Amazon Key, the new service that will allow eligible packages to be securely delivered inside their homes while they’re out and about.
Though various discounts and deals will be running between now and the official Black Friday, Amazon listed some initial deals in their release on Nov. 1.
Published: Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 2:16 PM
— A phone app that claimed it was an effective digital contraceptive is now under fire after dozens of women who said they used the app became pregnant.
Natural Cycles was certified as a birth control method in the European Union last year.
It would help woman keep track of body temperature to predict when women could become pregnant when not using traditional forms of birth control, the Evening Standard reported. It was promoted as an alternative to birth control pills and researchers believed in the results after they found it was up to 99 percent effective, the newspaper reported last year.
Now a Swedish hospital is casting doubts on the method after it has reported dozens of unwanted pregnancies from users over the past few months, The Daily Mail reported.
The app is popular in Europe where users went from 5,000 in 2016 to 125,000 in 2017.
And while there have been reports of unplanned pregnancies, the company markets Natural Cycles told the Daily Mail, “No contraception is 100 percent and unwanted pregnancies is an unfortunate risk with any contraception.”
Company officials said that the number that the hospital was reporting, 37 unplanned pregnancies out of 668 users, is within the 93 percent risk communicated to consumers, the Daily Mail reported.
Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 12:17 PM
— On day two of the U.S. government shutdown, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans would not adopt President Donald Trump’s call for a “nuclear option” to pass a budget with a simple majority, The New York Daily News reported Sunday.
“The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,” a spokesman for McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement to the Daily News.
The Senate is set to reconvene at 1 p.m. Sunday.
In a tweet Sunday morning Trump had called for the Senate to change the rules on filibusters, which requires a 60 votes to advance a bill. Trump’s “nuclear option” calls for a simple majority of 51 votes.
“Great to see how hard Republicans are fighting for our Military and Safety at the Border. The Dems just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked. If stalemate continues, Republicans should go to 51% (Nuclear Option) and vote on real, long term budget, no C.R.'s!” Trump tweeted.
Great to see how hard Republicans are fighting for our Military and Safety at the Border. The Dems just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked. If stalemate continues, Republicans should go to 51% (Nuclear Option) and vote on real, long term budget, no C.R.’s!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 21, 2018
The government officially shut down just after midnight Saturday when the Senate could not muster enough votes to advance a new spending bill.
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2018 @ 11:34 PM
— A 12-year-old boy from Michigan who vomited during dinner one night, went to an urgent care facility the next night and had a flu test come back negative tragically died the very next morning.
Michael Messenger’s family can’t believe how quickly their world was turned upside-down, losing a son and a brother who had been so full of life in just a matter of days.
The timeline of Messenger’s symptoms, evaluation and death has his mother Jessica Decent-Doll urging other parents not to wait if they see signs of flu.
“Don’t wait, it’s all I can say. This flu or whatever is going around this year is unbelievably dangerous,” she told the Times Herald.
12-year-old Michael Messenger died last week after having flu-like symptoms for a few days. https://t.co/ILoR9h5vva— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) January 17, 2018
Messenger vomited during dinner Jan. 9, was taken to an urgent care the next evening where he was cleared for flu and administered anti-nausea medication and was found unresponsive at home in bed the morning of Jan. 11.
An hour and a half later, he was declared dead at a hospital.
Decent-Doll said her son’s vital signs were deemed normal at the urgent care center and that the family was advised to give him fluids.
DEADLY FLU WARNINGS: The death of 12-year-old Michael Messenger of Clay Township, Michigan, of flu-like symptoms after a rapid flu test at an urgent care came back negative is raising new questions about the epidemic. @GioBenitez reports. pic.twitter.com/tpJdY2Qpbg— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) January 19, 2018
By 9:15 a.m. Thursday, it was clear Messenger’s life was in grave danger.
“I ran upstairs, and I sat with him, and I tried to get him to respond to me, but there was no response, nothing,” Decent-Doll said. “It’s indescribable, it really is.”
The grieving mother said that her son had just gotten a flu shot in December and that he “never stopped, ever. He loved science. He loved his family.”
Kristen Ervinck started a GoFundMe to help the grieving family:
"Mikey was so full of life and so energetic he lit up the room with his smile," it read.
Michael Messenger's funeral was Thursday. His family is still waiting for the results of his autopsy.
Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 11:34 AM
— Led by Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, several members of Congress asked for their pay to be withheld during the government shutdown, CNN reported.
“I don't think it's right for me to get paid during a government shutdown while my constituents are being furloughed and important and necessary services are being limited or halted all together,” Delaney, a Democrat, said in a statement. “It's time to be responsible and come together on a bipartisan deal to fund the government.”
I will donate any congressional pay I receive during this shutdown to a local charity. I don't think it's right for me to get paid while my constituents are being furloughed and important services are being limited.— Rep. John Delaney (@RepJohnDelaney) January 20, 2018
Delaney makes $174,000 annually, which is the base salary for members of Congress. According to Delaney’s spokesman, Will McDonald, Delaney will donate his pay to the Mercy Health Clinic in Gaithersburg, Maryland. It is the same clinic where he donated his salary during the 2013 government shutdown, CNN reported.
Republican Reps. Rick Allen of Georgia and Mia Love of Utah tweeted Saturday that they also would not accept pay during the shutdown.
Allen said in a tweet that he plans to donate the withheld pay.
I cannot, in good conscience, accept my salary while @SenateDems refuse to pay our brave men and women in uniform - that's why I have asked for my salary to be withheld until this #SchumerShutdown is over.— Rick W. Allen (@RepRickAllen) January 21, 2018
I will donate my entire salary earned during this shutdown to charity. pic.twitter.com/LQ7tBZybYJ