log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 12:29 PM
— While still dealing with legal action and negative public relations after a man was forcibly dragged from a flight, United Airlines is now investigating an incident in which a giant rabbit was found dead aboard one of the airline’s international flights.
According to the BBC, a nearly 3-foot-long giant rabbit named Simon was traveling from London’s Heathrow airport to Chicago’s O'Hare airport in the cargo space of a United plane on April 19.
The rabbit was being shipped to a new owner in the U.S.
Simon’s breeder, Annette Edwards, from Worcestershire, England, said the rabbit had been seen by a veterinarian hours before the flight.
“Simon had a vet’s checkup three hours before the flight and was fit as a fiddle,” Edwards told The Sun. “I’ve sent rabbits all around the world and nothing like this has happened before.”
Edwards said the unidentified American buyer is upset.
“I haven’t got a clue who’s to blame, but it’s certainly very weird when Simon was so healthy,” Edwards told CNN.
Simon, a 10-month-old Continental Giant rabbit, was poised to grow to be the world’s largest rabbit, according to NBC News. The largest rabbit on record, as noted by the Guinness World Records, is Simon’s father, a 4-foot-4-inch and 50-pound animal named Darius.
“We were saddened to hear this news. The safety and well-being of all the animals that travel with us is of the utmost importance to United Airlines and our PetSafe team,” the airline said in a statement. “We have been in contact with our customer and have offered assistance. We are reviewing this matter.”
Earlier this month, United Airlines made headlines when a passenger, David Dao, was forcibly removed from a flight after refusing to give up his seat for a United employee on a fully booked flight. United CEO Oscar Munoz said no one would be fired for the incident.
United Airlines investigates giant bunny death: Simon the 90cm-long rabbit was being flown… https://t.co/boFfRk4ObC— Woody (@Harley_Woody) April 26, 2017
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:39 AM
— The weather in some parts of the country is not helping people with allergies, and your pets could also be feeling the effects of the high pollen (and other allergens) count.
Pets are often sniffling grass, other pets and the ground. They are also much closer to where the allergens can sit, so they could be more exposed to more allergens, such as pollen.
Just like humans, dogs and cats can sneeze, get watery eyes and runny noses. Allergies can make these symptoms worse. According to the Humane Society, dogs often express pollen allergy symptoms by itching. The pollen gets on their fur, makes its way down to their skin and irritates it.
Here are some ways to help your pet cope with seasonal allergies:
Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 2:39 AM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Police in Daytona Beach, Florida, released video of two animal control officers rescuing a pit bull puppy who was left under a bridge in freezing temperatures.
For the last couple of weeks we've been telling you about River the Frozen Puppy.Posted by Daytona Beach Police Department on Thursday, February 8, 2018
In the video posted on the Daytona Beach Police Department’s Facebook page, you can see the puppy shaking uncontrollably because she was so cold. The animal control officers did everything they could to warm her up.
A passer-by called police after seeing the puppy in the cold water.
The animal control officers found her under the Seabreeze Bridge in mid-January when the temperatures had fallen to below freezing.
One of the Daytona Beach police officers adopted the puppy, now named River, and she is safe and in a loving home.
Published: Saturday, February 10, 2018 @ 12:42 PM
SEATTLE — Oskar the Blind Cat, who touched and entertained people around the world, has died. He was six years old.
Oskar’s death was sudden, his owners reported Monday on their social media channels. The cause of death was likely heart failure. Oskar showed no signs of illness before his death.
Oskar was born in May 2011 on a farm in Iowa. He was born with a severe form of microphthalmia, a genetic condition which prevented his eyes from fully developing. Oskar was adopted the same year by Mick and Bethany Szydlowski, a couple in Nebraska who began to chronicle life with a blind cat on social media. The couple have another cat, Klaus, a former stray who quickly became Oskar's sidekick. A YouTube video of Oskar playing with the air from a hair dryer went viral, launching him into internet stardom.
In addition to sharing the antics of Oskar and Klaus, the Szydlowskis use social media to promote adoptions of special needs animals across the country. The couple and both cats moved to Seattle in 2012.
An outpouring of condolences from other internet cat celebrities and their owners followed the news of his death.
As you may know, fellow philanthropic feline friend @Oskar_the_Blind_Cat passed away unexpectedly earlier this week. We first met and became friends with Oskar, his brother Klaus, and their family when we got together to take this “famous cat selfie” a few years back. Oskar was a magnificent feline who raised awareness about blind and special needs cats, for which we are forever grateful. His inspiration and legacy will live on as he continues his journey through space. Our deepest condolences go out to our friends for the loss of their beautiful companion. Much love from BUB and our family <3
It’s impossible to write this without crying. Our amazing inspirational and loving friend, Oskar, has passed over the rainbow bridge and we are so sad. Not only did his wonderful family lose their furkid, but the world also lost one of the biggest and brightest advocators for special needs animals and special needs children. Thank you so much, Oskar, for making every blind child feel special and cool. Thank you for making adults smile every day and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for advocating for special needs cats and for showing that you don’t need eyesight to see and feel happiness and love in your life. We will never ever forget you! Purrs to heaven and many hugs to your family. 💜 Love, Monty, Mikala and Michael. #OskarForever #OskarTheBlindCat
Published: Thursday, April 16, 2015 @ 7:07 PM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
— For over a decade, outbreaks of the dog flu have been reported across the country. Each year, dog owners report cases of the illness in their canines.
Barkpost breaks down the dog flu outbreak by responding to the most common questions pet owners have.
What is dog flu?
Dog flu, also known as canine influenza, causes primarily respiratory issues. Most dogs contract a mild form of the virus and only require supportive care to recover.
Is it contagious?
Yes, just like with human influenza, dog flu can be spread by close contact.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms, which may take up to 10 days to appear, include coughing, sneezing, fever, nasal discharge, lethargy and loss of appetite.
Can dog flu be prevented?
To reduce your dog’s risk of getting dog flu, consider the dog flu vaccine. It does not eliminate the risk of your dog getting canine influenza entirely, but like with the human flu vaccine, can reduce illness length and severity. Make sure to keep your dog away from other dogs who appear ill and do the same if your dog shows any signs of illness. If there is an outbreak of dog flu in your community, steer clear of public areas like dog parks.
Can other pets or humans catch the dog flu?