log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, July 06, 2017 @ 8:29 PM
ATLANTA — Authorities in the state of Georgia are advising parents not to use allergy medications like Benadryl as a sedative for young children during summer trips. Both The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Georgia Poison Center have suggested against the practice.
“Parents think it’s safe because you don’t need a prescription, but that's not the case. These drugs can be dangerous,” Georgia Poison Center Director Dr. Gaylord Garcia said.
Many antihistamines contain an active ingredient, diphendramine, which has a sedative side effect. It can cause adverse reactions in children younger than 5. Most drug makers say infants and children younger than 2 should not be given an allergy drug.
“Kids who have low doses can suffer from hallucinations, which is real scary for a parent. As the dose gets higher, you start worrying about tremors, convulsions and in the worst case scenario, rarely, death," Garcia said.
The GBI reports four infant deaths between 2015 and 2017 caused by acute antihistamine toxicity.
Pharmacists said parents should carefully read all instructions on drug labels. including allergy medications.
“It’s very clear: Children under 2, do not use. Two to 5, do not use unless you consult a physician. This should never be used as a sleep aide,” said Ira Katz, owner of Little Five Points Pharmacy in Atlanta. “It’s not indicated as a sleep aide.”
Some parents said they are careful not use allergy drugs to help children sleep or rest.
“If they got stung by a bee, I would probably give them Benadryl for that, or an allergic reaction to shellfish, but not to go to sleep," parent Samantha Bosley said.
Pharmacists also warned parents to keep over-the-counter drugs out of reach of children.
“Put it way up in the cabinet so no one can get ahold of it,” Katz said.
Published: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 @ 6:43 AM
HAUGHTON, La. — A video of a boy comforting his baby sister is warming hearts across the country.
A video shared to Facebook by mom Danielle Davis of Haughton, Louisiana, shows her son quietly rocking his sleeping sister in his arms when she wasn’t feeling well. The video was viewed more than 2 million times on Instagram.
“The kids adore each other,” Davis told “Good Morning America.” “He can always make her laugh. They are siblings, so they have their moments of jealousy, but that’s to be had. Ninety percent of the time they really very loving toward each other.”
Published: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 @ 1:54 AM
WARR ACRES, Okla. — An Oklahoma boy is recovering after suffering a serious injury in a restaurant bounce house.
>> Click here to watch the news report (WARNING: Linked video includes graphic images.)
A trip to an Incredible Pizza location in Warr Acres on Nov. 5 ended with the Lambert family’s 5-year-old son Bentley, who had been playing in a bounce house, asking if he was going to die.
Incredible Pizza, known fully as America’s Incredible Pizza Co., shows on its website that it offers both food and entertainment at its restaurants, listing a bounce house among the number of attractions.
Shali Lambert spoke to KFOR about her son’s condition and said that, while he is on a long road to recovery, it was immediately clear to her and doctors how serious it was when a hook inside the bounce house came loose and tore into the child’s arm.
A hook inside of a padded wrecking ball came loose and seriously injured Bentley.
“He was screaming, ‘I’m stuck!' I just remember picking him up, and I had to unhook the clip and slide it out of his arm,” Lambert said. “He was asking if he was going to die. He saw all the blood in his arm, and so he was asking if he was going to die.”
The child had to be rushed from the pizza place to the hospital, where doctors performed an emergency surgery. The boy’s arm has since been sewed up, but he may have to undergo physical therapy and additional surgeries in the future.
“No kid should have to go through that,” Bentley’s mother said.
It’s not clear at this time if the cost of the child’s surgery will be covered by the company, but its insurance company is involved.
Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 6:24 PM
— A parenting story on the Girl Scouts of the United States of America website is discouraging parents from forcing their daughters to hug relatives at holiday gatherings -- and any time during the year.
Titled, “Reminder: She Doesn’t Owe Anyone a Hug. Not Even at the Holidays,” the Nov. 2 article says encouraging young girls to go give a relative a hug or kiss as a greeting can lead to compromised views of consent.
“Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she ‘owes’ another person any type of physical affection when they’ve bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life,” the article said.
Girl Scouts parenting expert and developmental psychologist Dr. Andrea Bastiani Archibald explained the impact of telling young girls, “Go give your relative a big hug!” or “Give them a big kiss!”
“The notion of consent may seem very grown-up and like something that doesn’t pertain to children, but the lessons girls learn when they’re young about setting physical boundaries and expecting them to be respected last a lifetime, and can influence how she feels about herself and her body as she gets older,” Archibald said.
Archibald said that unfortunately, people who prey on children exist and young girls need to be taught at an early age what consent means and how to get help if their rights are violated.
Comments on the organization’s Facebook post of the article were mixed.
“No girl is going to seriously think she has to get physical with a guy to be polite, just because she had to give Aunt Betty a hug at Christmas when she was little,” one woman wrote.
“Our kids deserve to decide what they do with their own bodies,” one mother commented. “Forcing them to give hugs takes that away from them. Sure, teach kids to be respectful. But give them choices for how they show affection.”
“Please,You have gone overboard. One, no one MAKES a child gives a hug. Two, Don't assume physical affection leads to negative behavior,” a self-identified senior scout wrote.
“Of course we all want our kids to be loving and kind,” another mother wrote. “But doing something that doesn’t feel right to them just because an adult wants you to is wrong.”
“Boys don't owe hugs either. I only ‘made’ my kids hug and kiss my dad 1x...it was the day before he died...other than that, never have made them hug or kiss anyone if they weren’t wanting to,” another Facebook user commented.
Published: Thursday, July 06, 2017 @ 6:05 PM
PUYALLUP, Wash. — A Washington mother is sharing the heartbreaking details of her infant son's death to warn other parents and prevent another accidental death from occurring.
In a lengthy Facebook post, Jordan DeRosier explains how her 7-month-old son, Sloan, died on July 3. She says she put him to bed with two blankets, and when she went in the next morning to wake him, his head was caught in one of the blankets. His body was ice-cold. The blanket became tangled in the bed rails and her son’s head got stuck inside the blanket, DeRosier said.
(DeRosier is pictured with her older son in the July 4 Facebook post.)
Family and first responders attempted to revive Sloan, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
In her post, she warns and pleads other parents: "You never think it will happen to you. You never think it will be your baby. Please do not put your babies to bed with a blanket."
She ends her post by saying, “Please learn from my world shattering mistake.”
DeRosier also decided to go public about her son's tragic death because she said anti-vaccine activists were blaming her son's death on vaccines, so she felt the need to set the record straight.