Posted: 9:00 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013
On Friday, the NFL released the average age of the 53-man roster of every NFL team on kickoff weekend 2013. The NFL did not provide any breakdown beyond that one figure for all 53 players.
As we reviewed the data, it quickly became apparent that while the 53-man figure was interesting, it did not provide a great deal of insight into the individual rosters beyond a very general statement on how one team looked to be younger or older than the other.
To remedy that, at least partly, I went through the Week 1 rosters and calculated the average ages for starters, as well as some other breakdowns you'll find further below. But before we go there, it's important to understand that the data is based on the 22 starters per team who took the first snap on opening weekend. The data does not account for projected starters or odd starting formations. Some cases in point:
These are by no means the only examples of where presumptive starter didn't start, and you'll probably find a situation similar to one of those described above on almost all teams. The point here is that players widely considered as starters don't always start.
With that out of the way, the chart below shows the age rankings for starters in Week 1, based on the player age (in years) as listed on Pro-Football-Reference.com. In addition to the average age of the 22 starters, the table lists
- the average age of the starting offenses and defenses
- the average NFL experience (in years since joining the league) of the 22 starters on a team
- the number of rookie starters
- the number of starters aged 30 or over
- the number of "own picks", i.e. the number of starters on the team that were originally drafted by that team
- the number of starters who entered the league (with any team) as an undrafted free agent
- the number of starters that were first-round picks (with this or any other team)
- the number of starters that were second-round picks (with this or any other team)
NFL Age Rankings For Week 1 Starters (click on column headers to sort)
|Team||Average Age||Avg. NFL experience in years||Rookie Starters||No. of Players >= 30 years||Draft status|
|All Starters||Offense||Defense||Own Draft Pick||UDFA||1st Rd pick||2nd rd Pick|
|DEN||26.9||28.0||25.7||4.1||- - ||4||11||5||6||4|
|PIT||27.7||25.7||29.6||5.0||- - ||6||18||4||6||4|
|ARI||28.5||28.7||28.3||5.4||- - ||8||11||3||7||3|