With the first preseason game taking place this past Thursday, it almost seems like training camp is over. That is not the case, though. The Browns were off Friday but hit the practice field again on Saturday. They will have three more sessions before camp is closed off to the public for good. Here is what we learned from Day 13 of training camp for the Browns.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 13 (8/10/13)
- Richardson Returns to Practice: The Browns were not in full pads on Saturday, and the early storyline was that RB Trent Richardson indeed returned to team drills in practice. Head coach Rob Chudzinski previously said that the expectation is that Richardson will play against the Detroit Lions on Thursday.
- Ward Also Returns at Safety: It sounds like the caution the Browns were taking with S T.J. Ward has ceased as well, as he was back running with the first-team defense at strong safety. Tashaun Gipson was at free safety, so this is the first time in awhile that both starting safeties were playing together.
- Haden Logs a Pair of Picks: It was another breakout day of practice for CB Joe Haden, who intercepted QB Brandon Weeden twice. One of those picks came on a deep pass intended for WR Josh Gordon, to which one fan in attendence said, "Haden went high to turn what looked like a Gordon touchdown into an interception."
The other interception was a pick six:
I can't wait for Haden to start causing havoc to other quarterbacks. According to the Akron Beacon Journal, Haden said that Weeden is always quick to consult him to use the interceptions as a learning experience:
"Weeden comes to me every time I get an interception," Haden said. "He’ll come right up to me and ask me, ‘Joe, what did you see? What could I do differently? What did you see in the route?’"
- Some Friendly Competition: The Browns did a lot of red zone drills. According to multiple media reports, during the final reps, head coach Rob Chudzinski upped the stakes a little bit: whichever unit did not come out on top, offense or defense, would have to be stuck with peanut butter sandwiches as their dinner. Nate Ulrich of the ABJ said the defense ended up winning against the first- and second-team offense:
Per Ulrich, QB Brandon Weeden did hit RB Dion Lewis for a three-yard touchdown pass, but Chudzinski ruled that he felt ILB Craig Robertson would have gotten to Weeden for a sack in a real game. When QB Jason Campbell got his turn, he tried finding WR Josh Cooper in the end zone but was picked off by CB Abdul Kanneh.
- Kicker Competition Still a Tad Ugly: After a couple of good performances in camp last week, things didn't start off so hot for the kickers this week. Each kicker had a field goal attempt in two-minute drills, and neither one was successful. Brandon Bogotay was wide left on a 46-yard field goal, and Shayne Graham's 55-yard attempt banged off the right upright.
- Injury Report: Besides Ward and Richardson, returning to practice was DL Dave Kruger. Of note, CB Chris Owens, WR David Nelson, RB Montario Hardesty and CB Leon McFadden were still out. Added to the injury list was WR Jordan Norwood, who missed practice after suffering a hamstring injury.
- Brownies: Touchdown passes went to WR Greg Little (twice), WR Josh Cooper, and WR Travis Benjamin. ... WR Josh Gordon defended his work ethic, saying that he "goes out here 100 percent every day I come out here." ... RB Chris Ogbonnaya continues to get looks as the team's fullback. ... The tight ends reportedly had a good day catching passes. ... CB Buster Skrine was praised by Chudzinski and continues is taking advantage of CB Chris Owens missing time. ... Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 The Fan said, the Browns were "working on read option here in a set of 11 on 11 team drills." ... The next practice open to the public is on Sunday at 4 PM EST.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources