breaking news


Prince's estate halts release of new EP, 'Deliverance,' report says

Published: Thursday, April 20, 2017 @ 3:51 AM

Prince fans were expecting a drop of previously unreleased material on April 21, the one-year anniversary of the singer’s death.

But Prince’s estate said otherwise.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: New Prince music appears ahead of anniversary of death

One day after it was announced that the EP, “Deliverance,” would arrive to streaming outlets in conjunction with the commemoration of Prince’s passing, the estate reportedly won a restraining order to halt the release.

>> Read more trending news

The six songs on the EP were co-written and co-produced by Prince and George Ian Boxill, who compiled the material for release. But Wednesday evening, a judge ruled that Boxill has no right to distribute the music to the public and referenced a confidentiality agreement that Boxill signed when he recorded with Prince in the mid-2000s.

According to TMZ, the restraining order expires on May 3; a hearing is expected prior to that date.

Upon the announcement of the new material, “Deliverance” hit No. 1 on the iTunes Pre-Order chart. Those who pre-ordered the album prior to the restraining order were granted the immediate download of the title track.

Manchester attack at Ariana Grande concert: What we know now

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 6:03 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 8:53 AM

An explosion was reported near Manchester Arena in the U.K. where an Ariana Grande concert was being held on Monday. Greater Manchester police said early Tuesday that at least 22 people were killed and 59 injured in the incident, which they believe was a terrorist attack conducted by a male suicide bomber. Children were among the dead.

>> Read more trending news

BBC News reported that police have warned people to avoid the area around the venue amid reports of an explosion around 10:35 p.m. local time.

>> Related: Photos: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

Actor Roger Moore, longest-serving James Bond, dead at 89

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 9:25 AM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 9:35 AM

English actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for his portrayal of fictional secret agent James Bond, has died, family members said in a statement Tuesday morning. He was 89.

>> Read more trending news

Moore died Tuesday in Switzerland after "a short but brave battle with cancer," said his children, Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian, in a statement.

"The affection our father felt whenever he walked on to a stage or in front of a camera buoyed him hugely and kept him busy working into his 90th year, through to his last appearance in November 2016 on stage at London's Royal Festival Hall," the statement said. "The capacity crowd cheered him on and off stage, shaking the very foundations of the building just a short distance from where he was born."

Moore played James Bond in seven films between 1973 and 1985.

Deadly Manchester blast after Ariana Grande concert: 5 things to know

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 5:55 AM

A deadly blast after an Ariana Grande concert Monday night at England's Manchester Arena has killed at least 22 people and injured 59 others, police said.

Here's what we know so far: 

>> Police: At least 22 dead after explosion near Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

1. The explosion happened after Grande had left the stage and concertgoers were leaving. Witnesses reported hearing the explosion near the exit about 10:30 p.m. local time, The Associated Press reported.

“A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone, and we were all trying to flee the arena,” Majid Khan, 22, told the AP. “It was one bang, and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”

2. Police believe that the incident was a terrorist attack conducted by a male suicide bomber. Fox News reported that the man, who died at the scene, "detonated an improvised explosive device," according to authorities. Police have arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the concert attack and are continue to investigate whether the suicide bomber had any accomplices, the AP reported.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the AP reported.

>> PHOTOS: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

3. Children were among the dead, police said. Meanwhile, families were searching for loved ones who attended the concert.

>> Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

4. Grande said she was "broken" over the news. "From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words," tweeted the pop star, who was not hurt in the incident.

>> See the tweet here

>> Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

Her manager, Scooter Braun, also issued a statement.

"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," he wrote.

>> Read more trending news

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

>> See the post here

5. President Donald Trump called those behind the attack "losers."

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life,” Trump said Tuesday in Bethlehem. “I won’t call (the attackers) monsters, because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers because that’s what they are, they’re losers.”

>> Watch his remarks here

British Prime Minister Theresa May called the apparent attack “the worst ever to hit the north of England.”

“It is now beyond doubt the people of Manchester have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack,” she said.

She added that authorities know the name of the suspected perpetrator but will not reveal his identity yet.

7 things to consider before your next concert

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 9:16 AM

File photo of a concert
Jena Ardell/Getty Images

After a bomb detonated at a concert in Manchester, England, killing and injuring dozens, KIRO-TV asked a retired FBI agent what he thinks about and prepares for at large events. 

>> Read more trending news

Retired FBI agent David Gomez said people should think about the following before attending a concert, sporting event or large gathering: 

1. Don’t push through crowds to exit at the end of the show.

While many fans are eager to beat the traffic, Gomez said he intentionally hangs back. 

“I’m usually in no hurry to leave. Let the big crowds progress first. Let me have a clear space where I can watch,” Gomez said. 

He said it’s harder to be aware of your surroundings when you’re shoulder to shoulder with the crowd. If someone on the outside is waiting to target a large group of people leaving a venue, the person will generally attack the first wave of people out the door. 

2. Before the show starts, find the closest exit.

Before the concert starts, look around for the closest exit. This might sometimes be a door toward the back of the venue, away from the doors where people entered. 

Gomez compared it to the way he sometimes chooses where to sit in a restaurant: “We pick a table that’s away from the front door and close to the exit, rear door, so I know if somebody’s going to come in the front door and rob the establishment, or is going to shoot somebody in the establishment, I have an exit that’s not close to the front door.” 

If someone enters through the back door, Gomez said he still has a clear line to the front door. 

3. Note the security staff closest to you. 

Know where they are in case you need to report suspicious activity or ask for help. In case of an emergency, they will likely be issuing instructions. 

4. Discuss a meeting place for your group if you get separated.

Make plans ahead of time so that if you are separated from your party, everyone knows where to meet. Members of your group should know that the spot might be adjusted if there is a threat inside the venue vs. the outside. 

5. Observe who and what is around you -- not what’s on your phone screen.

Matthew McLellan, a student on Mercer Island, told KIRO-TV he has attended concerts where many people are on their phones. He said he likes to send Snapchat photos to share his concert experience. 

But McLellan said that because of this week’s attack, he’ll be thinking twice. 

“It was shocking,” McLellan said. “Just seeing the numbers (of casualties) increase every couple of hours just hurts me.” 

6. If something happens and you can’t find an exit, shelter in place. 

Gomez said one girl who attended the concert in Manchester was reported to have stayed in her spot on the third level of the venue because she couldn’t find an easy way out. Police eventually entered the building to help people get out.

7. Before you go, check the venue website for specific entry rules.

Some venues require clear bags only; some performers specifically call for no use of cellphones. Read the information on your ticket and on the venue website carefully before you leave the house so you won’t be turned away at the door or kicked out. 

>> Related: Manchester attack at Ariana Grande concert: What we know now