I am honored and excited to be here in the Miami Valley! This is my second reporting job and I am loving every second of it.
I grew up in Oak Park, Illinois – a suburb fifteen minutes west of Chicago. After high school, I moved five hundred miles away away to study Journalism and Electronic Media at the University of Tennessee. The majority of my spare time there was spent serving tables to help pay for groceries and utilities. (Side note – if you’re interested in reporting, try serving tables first! It’s a great way to practice your interview skills, work on time management and learn how to operate in stressful situations.)
After an internship my senior year, I landed a job as an early morning production assistant at WBIR-TV in Knoxville. It was a great way for me to get my foot in the door and work with some on-air talent. Towards the end of my senior year, I moved to St. Louis, Missouri for a full-time internship with KSDK News Channel Five where I met some of the most amazing people in this business. I was able to shadow people in each department, which was fascinating for me because I got to see every piece of the puzzle that is a news organization.
Once I finally graduated, I landed my first reporting job at WQAD-TV in Moline, Illinois. Moline is part of the Quad Cities, which is on the border of Iowa and Illinois, along the Mississippi River. Lots of running, lots of outdoor adventures, and of course, plenty of news. As with every station I have worked at, the people at WQAD were above amazing and became a huge part of my life.
As with many news jobs, we move around a lot. After finishing out my contract at WQAD-TV I was lucky enough to find a new job, and a new home here at WHIO-TV in Dayton. Just as I expected, the people in this organization are hard-working, honest and incredibly talented. I am over the moon to be working here and look forward to getting to know this amazing community.
Q & A
- Where were you born?
- Where did you grow up?
- What was your favorite TV show then?
- As a kid I loved watching Batman cartoons and any movies my family watched. As a teen my go-to shows were Grey’s Anatomy and The West Wing. (I’m still a Grey’s nut.)
- What was the first thing you ever wanted to be?
- How might someone have described you in high school?
- Friendly, goofy, and cared about her friends.
- What was your first job?
- Selling vegetables at the Farmer’s Market.
- What was your first job in television?
- In college, I was an early morning Production Assistant for the morning news at WBIR-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee. I met my best friend there who worked on the floor with me, and we mostly goofed off and covered for each other when the other one was taking a nap. (Don’t tell my old supervisor that!)
- What do you like about your job?
- I love having the opportunity to do something new every single day, while getting to know the community around me.
- What do you not like about your job?
- Re-doing my hair and makeup several times a day. By the end of the day, I just want to wash it all off and throw on some sweats.
- What might people be surprised to know about you?
- I have a very goofy sense of humor. (Laughing is my favorite pastime.)
- What is the hardest thing you ever did?
- I had to kill a wasp in my room the other day. I missed it with the swatter at least six times, mostly from shaking and crying and screaming so much. It was very unprofessional. The worst part was, my dog just sat there staring at me the whole time! Traitor…
- What would be a perfect day for you?
- I would go for a run with my dog, do some yoga, then have a few beers with my family and friends at an outdoor concert somewhere.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to go into the business?
- Be prepared for long hours, stressful workloads and tough assignments. Only go into this business if you LOVE it. It’s a very tough job but if you love what you do, it is incredibly rewarding.
- If you could only keep one 5-minute tape from your career what would be on it?
- Honestly, I feel like I’ve only been in the business for five minutes! I guess I would put a few stories from the Quad Cities on there along with my anchoring experiences.
- Favorite book:
- Hunger Games, Harry Potter, or Amy Poehler’s book, Yes Please.
- Favorite CBS show:
- Favorite food:
- Cheese, Chocolate, and Sushi.
- Favorite hobby:
- There are so many… Running, yoga, going to see live music, baking, curling up with a good book and watching a great movie!
- Favorite Miami Valley place:
- I love exploring the Oregon District and all of the bike paths along the river.
- Favorite movie:
- Good Will Hunting with Matt Damon and Robin Williams.
- Favorite music:
- Indie Rock, anything new and up-and-coming really interests me.
- Favorite travel destination:
- Mexico – changes me every time.
Contact Caroline Reinwald