Meghan Markle vows to break these bad habits in her New Year's resolutions

Published: Sunday, December 31, 2018 @ 7:42 AM

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reveal Engagement Photos

Before she joins the royal family, Meghan Markle has some work to do on becoming more “ladylike,” according to the New Year’s resolutions she makes every year.

>> Royal family goes to church for first Christmas with Meghan Markle

In 2016, the now bride-to-be wrote about her New Year’s resolutions on her blog. Among them are two that she said she has to make “every single year”: “Stop biting my nails. Stop swearing.”

“The swearing comes in lulls triggered by being overworked or feeling mighty cheeky after a couple drinks,” she wrote at the time. “And when it comes to the biting of the nails – well, it still happens with a turbulent flight or a stressful day. It’s unladylike. But then again, so is the swearing."

>> On Rare.us: It looks like Meghan Markle’s father isn’t pleased Prince Harry called the royals the family she never had

With plans to marry Prince Harry, it looks like Markle might actually have to follow through with those resolutions this year. In fact, she’s taking royal etiquette lessons in preparation — with instruction from her fiance, Prince Harry himself.

>> PHOTOS: Meghan Markle through the years

Part of her training will include the politics of curtsying. The actress and bride-to-be will reportedly be expected to curtsy to the queen, her soon-to-be sister-in-law, the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne, Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice (though, if Harry is not in the room, they will be expected to curtsy to her). In addition, she will have to learn how to handle herself at a state dinner, how to properly address dignitaries and royal table etiquette — and we have a feeling nail-biting and swearing won’t be looked upon too kindly in such scenarios.

Markle and the prince are set to tie the knot this May. They announced their engagement at the end of last month.

>> Read more trending news 

“The marriage of His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales and Ms. Meghan Markle will take place at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle in May 2018,” Kensington Palace announced. “Her Majesty The Queen has granted permission for the wedding to take place at the Chapel.”

Dale Earnhardt Jr. crashes into tree after helping car stuck in snow

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 5:50 PM

What You Need To Know: Dale Earnhardt Jr.

It could be said that former NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. has some of the best driving skills ever, having made a living out of going more than 200 miles an hour on some of our country’s toughest racetracks.

Yet, with snow involved, Earnhardt got into some trouble while trying to help other people stuck in the weather.

>> Read more trending news 

“(North Carolina) stay off the roads today/tonight. Five minutes after helping these folks I center punched a pine tree,” Dale shared on his Twitter page on Wednesday shortly after stopping to help some stranded travelers on the road. “All good. Probably just needs a new alignment,” he added.

Fans were were thankful Earnhardt was OK, but the tweet didn’t come without some NASCAR jokes. 

“Jr. did you attempt to turn right? Gets ya every time,” one Twitter user said.

Earnhardt’s accident comes a day after the former NASCAR driver, voted the sport’s most popular driver for 15 consecutive years, announced the day before that he would be covering the Winter Olympics and the Super Bowl in the coming weeks as part of his new deal as a contributor to NBC Sports.

LAS VEGAS, NV - NOVEMBER 29: Dale Earnhardt Jr. speaks on stage during the NASCAR NMPA Myers Brothers Awards at the Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas on November 29, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)(David Becker/Getty Images)

Unfortunately, Dale Jr. was not the only driver to find himself in harm’s way thanks to the snow, as NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez found himself stuck in the snow on the side of the road in his sports car Wednesday.

Michael Waltrip decided to drive in snowy conditions in North Carolina, and appeared to do so safely in his Ford and later in his Toyota Tundra.

Headed out. I don’t have snow worries in my @toyotausa #Tundra.

A post shared by Michael Waltrip (@mwr55) on

Driver Kevin Harvick thought better of it, making the decision to stay in and enjoy the snow off the main roads.

How we celebrate a snow day!! #burnemdown

A post shared by Kevin Harvick (@kevinharvick) on

Ann Curry speaks out about Matt Lauer sexual harassment allegations in new interview

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 5:29 PM

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - JULY 30:  Executive producer/reporter Ann Curry of 'We'll Meet Again' speaks onstage during the PBS portion of the 2017 Summer Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on July 30, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California.  (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
BEVERLY HILLS, CA - JULY 30: Executive producer/reporter Ann Curry of 'We'll Meet Again' speaks onstage during the PBS portion of the 2017 Summer Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on July 30, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)(Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Ann Curry has remained tight-lipped since the news broke of Matt Lauer’s alleged sexual misconduct, but she spoke about the scandal on “CBS This Morning.”

The 61-year-old journalist and producer appeared on the program Wednesday to discuss her new PBS docuseries “We’ll Meet Again” and she was asked to speak on the scandal surrounding her disgraced former co-anchor. Curry admitted that she was “not surprised” by the scandal.

>> Read more trending news 

“Do you believe that Matt Lauer abused his power?” asked Norah O’Donnell.

“You know, I’m trying to do no harm in these conversations. I can tell you that I am not surprised by the allegations,” Curry responded. When asked to explain further, Curry struggled to articulate her response.

“That means that … see, now, I’m walking down that road. I’m trying not to hurt people, and I know what it’s like to be publicly humiliated. I never did anything wrong to be publicly humiliated, and I don’t want to cause that kind of pain to somebody else,” Curry said. “But I can say that, because you’re asking me a very direct question, I can say that I would be surprised if many women did not understand that there was a climate of verbal harassment that existed. I think it would be surprising if someone said that they didn’t see that.”

She continued, “It was verbal sexual harassment,” before being cut off.

When Curry left NBC’s “Today” in June 2012, it was widely speculated that Lauer was the catalyst for her exit. A fan favorite, it came as a surprise to audiences when Curry broke the news of her exit amid tears, as she was considered one of the top stars at NBC and could have been poised to take over a bigger role on the show. The unexpected departure is likely the public humiliation she was referring to.

Related: Matt Lauer fired over allegations of inappropriate workplace behavior

The Emmy award winner also spoke with People as part of her press tour for her upcoming show. She discussed the aftermath of being pushed off “Today.”

“It hurt like hell,” she told the publication. “It hurt so much, but I learned a lot about myself. I can say I’ve done nothing wrong. I’ve been honest and true. I’ve tried to stay pure. I’ve tried to not respond in a knee-jerk manner, and I’ve stayed very close to who I am. So it hurt, but I’m also proud of myself.”

“CBS This Morning” dealt with its own scandal when co-anchor Charlie Rose was fired in November for allegedly making “unwanted sexual advances” towards several women, including, “lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.”

Related: Charlie Rose fired from CBS amid sexual harassment allegations; PBS cuts ties with newsman

Anchors Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell denounced their former co-anchor over the accusations.

“It takes a lot of courage for these women to come forward, and I think that they should continue to do so,” O’Donnell said on the broadcast following the news. “This is a moment that demands a frank and honest assessment about where we stand and more generally the safety of women. Let me be very clear: There is no excuse for this alleged behavior. It is systematic and pervasive, and I’ve been doing a lot of listening, and I’m going to continue to do that.”

Prominent Men Accused Of Sexual Misconduct In 2017

Ellen Pompeo returning to ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ for two more seasons, earning $20 million

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 4:35 PM

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 23:  Ellen Pompeo at the 2017 InStyle Awards presented in partnership with FIJI WaterAssignment at The Getty Center on October 23, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images for FIJI Water)
Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images for FIJI Water
LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 23: Ellen Pompeo at the 2017 InStyle Awards presented in partnership with FIJI WaterAssignment at The Getty Center on October 23, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images for FIJI Water)(Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images for FIJI Water)

Meredith Grey is here to stay at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital — for at least two more seasons.

Deadline reported that the star of “Grey’s Anatomy,” Ellen Pompeo, has signed on to continue her role for another two years. She’ll also be permanently adding the title of “producer” to her credits on the series, while also being bumped to executive producer on the forthcoming firefighter spinoff series.

>> Read more trending news 

In addition to growing her resume, Pompeo stands to rake in $575,000 per episode, which comes to $20 million a year, making her the highest-paid actress on a primetime TV drama. The show already holds the title of ABC’s highest-rated series.

Pompeo’s pay wasn’t a given, however. Like many women, she had to fight to be paid adequately, particularly compared to her male counterparts.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter published Wednesday, the actress said she’s now comfortable asking to be paid what she’s worth.

“I’m 48 now, so I’ve finally gotten to the place where I’m OK asking for what I deserve, which is something that comes only with age,” Pompeo said.

“For me, Patrick (Dempsey) leaving the show (in 2015) was a defining moment, deal-wise. They could always use him as leverage against me: ‘We don’t need you; we have Patrick,’ which they did for years. I don’t know if they also did that to him, because he and I never discussed our deals. There were many times where I reached out about joining together to negotiate, but he was never interested in that. At one point, I asked for $5,000 more than him just on principle, because the show is ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and I'm Meredith Grey. They wouldn’t give it to me. And I could have walked away, so why didn’t I? It’s my show; I’m the No. 1. I’m sure I felt what a lot of these other actresses feel: ‘Why should I walk away from a great part because of a guy?’You feel conflicted but then you figure, ‘I’m not going to let a guy drive me out of my own house.’”

Pompeo said that once series creator Shonda Rhimes became more successful and had more control, it brushed off on her and allowed her to have more say in her own career.

“ (Shonda) got to a place where she was so empowered that she was generous with her power. Now, what did that look like? It looked like her letting me be the highest-paid woman on television, letting me be a producer on this show, letting me be a co-executive producer on the spinoff and signing off on the deal that the studio gave me, which is unprecedented.”

While Pompeo is excited to keep the show going, she makes no promises about when it will eventually end.

“I’ve been saying since season one, ‘We have two more years.’ This show, it’s taking on a life of its own, and who knows? We take it season by season,really,” she told Deadline.

Pompeo added, “You never think TV shows are going to go this long. Of course not, never, and especially me, I don’t ever assume things like that. I assume tomorrow everyone’s going to hate us. You got to try. You got to stay humble.”

“I’m extremely proud of the show and everyone that has worked on it in the past, everybody who’s here now,” she said, sharing that she’ll definitely let her children — Stella, 8; Sienna, 3; and Eli, 1, with husband Chris Ivery — watch when they’re old enough.

“It’s the beginning of a movement, and it’s so special to me for so many reasons. So I certainly hope they watch every episode twice,”  Pompeo said.

Premiere date set for ‘Trading Spaces’ reboot despite allegations against Carter Oosterhouse

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 4:06 PM

PASADENA, CA - JANUARY 12:  (Top L-R) New cast members Joanie Sprague, John Gidding, Sabrina Soto, Brett Tutor, and Kahi Lee, and (Bottom L-R) original cast members Laurie Smith, Vern Yip, Douglas Wilson, Paige Davis, Ty Pennington, Hildi Santo-Tomas, and Frank Bielec of 'Trading Spaces' on TLC speak onstage during the Discovery Communications portion of the 2018 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 12, 2018 in Pasadena, California.  (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
PASADENA, CA - JANUARY 12: (Top L-R) New cast members Joanie Sprague, John Gidding, Sabrina Soto, Brett Tutor, and Kahi Lee, and (Bottom L-R) original cast members Laurie Smith, Vern Yip, Douglas Wilson, Paige Davis, Ty Pennington, Hildi Santo-Tomas, and Frank Bielec of 'Trading Spaces' on TLC speak onstage during the Discovery Communications portion of the 2018 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 12, 2018 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)(Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Fans can enjoy new episodes of TLC’s revamped version of “Trading Spaces” starting this spring.

A new trailer for the latest iteration of the reality TV design show was announced Friday and included the April 7 premiere date for the program.

The trailer, on the Trading Spaces Facebook page, shows original host Paige Davis with designers Vern Yip, Hildi Santo-Tomas, Doug Wilson, Laurie Smith and Genevieve Gorder and carpenters Ty Pennington and Carter Oosterhouse.

New additions to the cast -- John Gidding, Kahi Lee, Sabrina Soto, Brett Tutor and Joanie Sprague -- are also featured. 

>> Read more trending news 

Us Weekly  reported that despite sexual assault allegations against Oosterhouse, TLC and “Trading Spaces” co-stars are sticking by the former model turned carpenter.

Former makeup artist Kailey Kaminsky said in a Dec. 14 interview with The Hollywood Reporter that Oosterhouse repeatedly coerced her into in sexual acts with him while on the set of his HGTV show “Carter Can” in 2008.

Related: TLC’s ‘Trading Spaces’ is headed back to television

“What I can tell you from my experience with Carter is that he is an absolute professional,” Davis said during the 2018 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour Jan. 12. “I’ve never had any experience with him where I haven’t just had the best time ever. He’s down to earth. He’s very good at what he does. And I enjoyed working these episodes with him. And I’m really excited for them to air.” 

“Everything she just said, I reiterate,” Pennington said. “We know Carter as the Carter we know, and he’s a great guy.”

Related: Paige Davis, Ty Pennington, Vern Yip, others join ‘Trading Spaces’ revival

Yip also voiced support for Oosterhouse, saying, “From what I know of Carter, he is a decent human being. He is a solid person. He’s a loving husband. He’s a loving father. And I think we have to realize that it’s important to make sure that we listen to exactly what’s going on, and that we don’t throw somebody under the bus without first making sure that we understand the entire story and view it through the lens of the facts. That’s not me saying something is untrue or not true, but that’s just me saying that from what I know of Carter, he’s a good, good person.”

Nancy Daniels, president and general manager of TLC, said at the same event that the network is fine having the show continue with Oosterhouse.

“At the end of the day, we feel very comfortable continuing with Carter in the show,” she said, according to Variety.

“Trading Spaces” airs April 7 at 9 p.m. on TLC. Watch the trailer for the show’s return below.