breaking news


Mayberry statue vandalized

Published: Friday, May 07, 2004 @ 5:29 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 @ 10:53 AM

Someone has stolen the plaque from the statue honoring one of North Carolina's most beloved sons.

A bronze statue commemorating "The Andy Griffith Show" went up in Raleigh's Pullen Park just six months ago.

Griffith, Governor Mike Easley and other officials unveiled the statue to a crowd of hundreds on October 28th.

Raleigh police say the rectangular plaque and its concrete setting disappeared between 2 P-M April 28th and Noon Monday. That's when parks and recreation workers noticed it missing from the life-size Andy and Opie.

The Artwork is on permanent loan to the city from cable network T-V Land.

Related

Manchester attack at Ariana Grande concert: What we know now

Published: Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 6:03 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 25, 2017 @ 6:42 AM

An explosion was reported near Manchester Arena in the U.K. where an Ariana Grande concert was being held on Monday. Greater Manchester police said early Tuesday that at least 22 people were killed and dozens injured in the incident, which they believe was a terrorist attack conducted by a male suicide bomber. Children were among the dead.

>> Read more trending news

BBC News reported that police have warned people to avoid the area around the venue amid reports of an explosion around 10:35 p.m. local time.

>> Related: Photos: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

Deadly Manchester blast after Ariana Grande concert: 5 things to know

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 5:55 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

A deadly blast after an Ariana Grande concert Monday night at England's Manchester Arena has killed at least 22 people and injured 119 others, authorities said.

Here's what we know so far: 

>> Police: At least 22 dead after explosion near Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

1. The explosion happened after Grande had left the stage and concertgoers were leaving. Witnesses reported hearing the explosion near the exit about 10:30 p.m. local time, The Associated Press reported.

“A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone, and we were all trying to flee the arena,” Majid Khan, 22, told the AP. “It was one bang, and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”

2. Police have released the name of the man they think was behind the terrorist attack. Fox News reported that the suspected suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, died at the scene after “detonating an improvised explosive device," according to authorities.

Police on Tuesday arrested Abedi’s brother, 23-year-old Ismail, BBC News reported. Greater Manchester police have made a total of six arrests in the case.

Anti-terror authorities in Libya said they have arrested Abedi’s brother, 18-year-old Hashim, and his father, Ramadan, in Tripoli. The AP reported that Hashim Abedi was taken into custody after he “confessed that both he and his brother were a part of the Islamic State group and that Hashim Abedi had been aware of the details of the attack.”

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the AP reported.

>> PHOTOS: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

3. Children were among the dead, police said. Meanwhile, families were searching for loved ones who attended the concert as more names of the dead were released. 

>> Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

4. Grande said she was "broken" over the news. "From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words," tweeted the pop star, who was not hurt in the incident.

>> See the tweet here

>> Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

Her management team announced on Wednesday that she was suspending her tour through June 5.

"Due to the tragic events in Manchester, the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost," Grande's management team said in a statement to ABC News. "We ask at this time that we all continue to support the city of Manchester and all those families affected by this cowardice and senseless act of violence."

Her manager, Scooter Braun, also issued a statement.

"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," he wrote.

>> Read more trending news

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

>> See the post here

5. President Donald Trump called those behind the attack "losers."

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life,” Trump said Tuesday in Bethlehem. “I won’t call (the attackers) monsters, because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers because that’s what they are, they’re losers.”

>> Trump condemns 'evil losers' behind Manchester attack

>> Watch his remarks here

British Prime Minister Theresa May called the apparent attack “the worst ever to hit the north of England.”

“It is now beyond doubt the people of Manchester have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack,” she said.

She added that authorities know the name of the suspected perpetrator but will not reveal his identity yet.

Lance Armstrong engaged to longtime girlfriend Anna Hansen

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

Lance Armstrong and Anna Hansen pose on the red carpet at the Mack, Jack & McConaughey Gala held at ACL Live on April 14.
Suzanne Cordeiro

Former professional cyclist Lance Armstrong is getting married to longtime girlfriend Anna Hansen.  

Armstrong, 45, popped the question Tuesday evening at Lake Austin. In a photo posted to Armstrong’s Instagram account, Hansen sits on his lap with a sparkling engagement ring on her finger while the sun sets in the background.

The photo was taken by Austin photojournalist Elizabeth Kruetz.

>> Read more trending news

“She said ….. YES!!!!” Armstrong posted on Instagram.


She said..... YES!!!!

A post shared by Lance Armstrong (@lancearmstrong) on

The couple met through charity work and started dating nine years ago. They have two children together – Max, 7, and Olivia, 6. Armstrong and Hansen spend summers in Aspen, Colorado, and the rest of the year in Austin, Texas, where their children attend school.  

There is no word yet on when or where the wedding will take place.  

Armstrong was previously married to Kristin Armstrong, with whom he had three children – Luke, 17, and twins Grace and Isabelle, 15. They divorced in 2003.

Ariana Grande cancels tour stops following Manchester explosion

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 2:53 PM

Ariana Grande performs during her New York Dangerous Woman Tour stop. The singer's management said performances have been suspended through June 5 following an explosion near Manchester Arena killed 22 and injured 64 others. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Republic Records)
Kevin Mazur

Days after an explosion near Manchester Arena killed 22 and injured 64 others, Ariana Grande has suspended performances for her Dangerous Woman Tour through June 5.

The Associated Press reported that the singer’s management team made the decision in wake of the bombing.

>> Read more trending news

TMZ reported that Grande’s management issued the following statement:

“Due to the tragic events in Manchester the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost.

“The London O2 shows this week have been cancelled as well as all shows thru June 5 in Switzerland. We ask at this time that we all continue to support the city of Manchester and all those families affected by this cowardice and senseless act of violence.

“Our way of life has once again been threatened but we will overcome this together. Thank you.”

Grande is reportedly back in her hometown of Boca Raton, Florida, as she grapples with the incident that affected her fans. According to Entertainment Tonight, a source says the singer is “an absolute wreck” following the bombing. 

Related: Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

“She cares more about her fans than anything,” the source said.

The Associated Press reported that the father of  Salman Abedi, the 22-year-old man who police said detonated a suicide bomb Monday night at Manchester Arena in the United Kingdom, has been arrested in Libya. A spokesman for Libya’s anti-terrorism Special Deterrent force told The AP one of Abedi's brothers was detained in Libya Tuesday.