Hollywood women launch #TimesUp campaign to end sexual harassment

Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 3:59 AM

PHILADELPHIA, PA - NOVEMBER 05:  Television producer Shonda Rhimes speaks during a Get Out The Vote concert for Democratic presidential nominee former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts on November 5, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. With three days to go until election day, Hillary Clinton is campaigning in Florida and Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
PHILADELPHIA, PA - NOVEMBER 05: Television producer Shonda Rhimes speaks during a Get Out The Vote concert for Democratic presidential nominee former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts on November 5, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. With three days to go until election day, Hillary Clinton is campaigning in Florida and Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Following in the line of #MeToo, Hollywood actresses have founded a new organization to fight inequality in the workplace – #TimesUp. 

What Is "Me Too" On Social Media?

"TIME’S UP is a unified call for change from women in entertainment for women everywhere. From movie sets to farm fields to boardrooms alike, we envision nationwide leadership that reflects the world in which we live," its website reads. 

>> 'Silence breakers' named Time Person of the Year 2017

Some of the biggest names in Hollywood are behind the campaign, including Shonda Rhimes, Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington and Meryl Streep. 

One in three women ages 18 to 34 have been sexually harassed at work, and 71 percent of those women didn't report it, according to a 2015 survey by Cosmopolitan. 

>> Read more trending news 

The Time's Up website details and defines what sexual harassment is, and what to do if it happens to you. 

Time's Up also has a legal defense fund to help provide subsidized legal support to women and men who have been sexually harassed, assault or abused in the workplace. So far, people have donated more than $13 million to the fund. 

Along with helping victims, the campaign calls for more women in positions of leadership and power across industries

VIDEO: ‘The Silence Breakers’ Named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year

OSCAR NOMINATIONS: ‘The Shape of Water,’ ‘Dunkirk,’ ‘Three Billboards,’  lead nominees

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

2018 Oscars Top Nominations

Who will be among the Hollywood elite to vie for this year’s Academy Awards? The nominations were announced Tuesday morning by Tiffany Haddish and Andy Serkis served as hosts from the Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Leading the pack was “The Shape of Water” with 13 nominations, including best picture, original screenplay and best director. It was one fewer than the record, according to The Washington Post.

The war movie “Dunkirk” earned eight nominations, including best picture, but it was snubbed in the acting categories, The Washington Post reported.

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” received seven nominations, including best picture, leading actress and supporting actor.

The Oscar ceremony will be held on March 4 and will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

>> Read more trending news 

Related

Neil Diamond diagnosed with Parkinson’s, retiring from touring

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 10:44 PM

What You Need To Know About Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond will retire from touring due to a recent diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease.

>> Read more trending news 

The renowned singer-songwriter announced the news in a statement Monday that said his doctors advised that he cancel the upcoming leg of his 50th anniversary tour set for Australia and New Zealand.

“It is with great reluctance and disappointment that I announce my retirement from concert touring,” Diamond said. “I have been so honored to bring my shows to the public for the past 50 years. My sincerest apologies to everyone who purchased tickets and were planning to come to the upcoming shows. I plan to remain active in writing, recording and other projects for a long time to come. My thanks go out to my loyal and devoted audiences around the world. You will always have my appreciation for your support and encouragement. This ride has been ‘so good, so good, so good’ thanks to you.”

Diamond turns 77 on Wednesday and, in a bittersweet turn, this weekend will be honored at the Grammy Awards with a Lifetime Achievement Award.

The storied songwriter behind such chestnuts as “Love on the Rocks,” “I Am, I Said,” “Sweet Caroline,” “Forever in Blue Jeans,” “Heartlight” and dozens more, launched his anniversary tour in April 2017.

>> Related: Grammy Awards 2018: What time, what channel, who is nominated, who will perform 

His most recent non-holiday album, “Melody Road,” was released in 2014.

Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 5:41 PM

What You Need To Know About Jane Fonda

It seems that neither Megyn Kelly or Jane Fonda has forgotten about that awkward September interview in which Fonda shut Kelly down after the latter asked about possible plastic surgery.

>> Read more trending news   

In the interview, Kelly asked Fonda about aging and plastic surgery when she and Robert Redford were on “Megyn Kelly Today” to promote their film “Our Souls at Night.” Fonda didn’t want to talk about the topic and snapped, “We really want to talk about that now?”

Things never really got back on track after that, and the incident came up again just last week, when Fonda appeared on “TODAY” with her “Grace & Frankie” co-star Lily Tomlin. When Hoda Kotb asked how long the veteran actresses have been friends, Tomlin replied, “Oh, my gosh … I think before your first facelift!”

While Kotb and Savannah Guthrie exploded in a fit of giggles, Fonda was clearly unamused. “Never mind! Never mind!” she said. “Who are you, Megyn Kelly?”

On Monday, Kelly took time out of her show to address the actress’s remarks.

“And, now, a word on Jane Fonda, who appears to be fixated on an exchange I had with her months ago on this show,” Kelly said introducing the clip from September on her show on Monday. “When she first complained, publicly after the program and repeatedly after the program, I chose to say nothing because my general philosophy is what other people think of me is none of my business.”

>> Related: After Matt Lauer’s firing, new NBC employee accuses ‘Megyn Kelly Today’ staff

“It’s time to address the ‘poor me’ routine,” Kelly said. She told the audience and TV viewers that Fonda appeared on her show last September to promote a film “about aging.”

“To her credit, she has discussed her cosmetic surgery pretty much everywhere before coming on our show,” Kelly said.

Kelly then played a clip of a previous Fonda “Today Show” appearance discussing her history with plastic surgery, then referenced Fonda’s other interviews on the topic.

“Apparently, when she came here, however, again, to promote her film about aging, I was supposed to discern that this subject was suddenly off limits,” Kelly said. “Look, I gave her the chance to empower other women, young and old, on a subject which she purports to know well, and she rejected it. That’s OK. But I have no regrets about that question, nor am I in the market for a lesson from Jane Fonda on what is or is not appropriate.”

The hits kept on coming when Kelly brought up the “outrage” Fonda has caused in the past.

“After all, this is a woman whose name is synonymous with outrage. Look at her treatment of our military during the Vietnam War,” Kelly said as the audience cheered. “Many of our veterans still call her ‘Hanoi Jane.'”

Kelly then listed Fonda’s multiple offenses and added, “By the way, she still says she is not proud of America.”

>> Related: Rocker John Mellencamp’s daughter joins cast of ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’

It’s unclear if Fonda plans on responding to Kelly’s insults, but Fonda fans responded on Twitter.

Migos and their fans want the group cast as hyenas in ‘Lion King’ remake

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 11:20 PM

Quavo (middle) of rap trio Migos (pictured) wants Disney to cast the group as the hyenas in the remake of
Quavo (middle) of rap trio Migos (pictured) wants Disney to cast the group as the hyenas in the remake of "The Lion King."(Bennett Raglin/Getty Images for BET/Getty Images for BET)

The rap trio Migos wants to put its stamp on the highly-anticipated remake of “The Lion King.”

On Sunday, Migos member Quavo posted his plea for the trio to make their Hollywood debut in the upcoming live-action remake, which already has an all-star cast including Beyoncé, Donald Glover, Alfree Woodard and Keegan-Michael Key.

Related: Disney confirms Beyonce, Donald Glover, more for ‘The Lion King’ in 2019

“Call us,” Quavo tweeted to Disney about the group playing the three hyenas.

>> Read more trending news

One problem, though. Key, comedian Eric Andre and actress Florence Kasumba have already been cast as hyenas in the new film, slated to premiere July 19, 2019.

The group’s fans were on board.

Twitter users offered numerous examples of how the group’s signature phraseology would fit right into the “Lion King” script.

As with many social media campaigns, Migos didn’t quite have everyone on board for the possibility of the group members playing the hyenas, partially because the parts were already cast to begin with.