Dayton man wins big on ‘Live with Kelly’ during sixth appearance

Published: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

We might as well nickname Scott Walker “Winnie McLuckie.” 

The retired Dayton street maintenance worker has been called to play the “Live with Kelly” trivia contest a whopping six times in the past 11 years.

He’s won grand prize trips three of those times.

The part-time Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum security guard’s last victory came on the morning of March 14. 

>> MORE: You have to visit this spot at Woodland Cemetery

His seven-night, six-day trip to the all-inclusive Buccaneer resort in St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands is valued at $9,500. 

LIVE with Kelly airs 9 a.m. Monday to Friday on WHIO-7.

Walker has been enjoying the ride, which has also included trips to St. Lucia and the Bahamas.

“It is just kind of surprising to to me that they keep calling,” Walker said. “It seems like they call every year or every two years.”

>> MORE: Ellen DeGeneres gives Dayton woman a surprise of a lifetime

This time around, Walker correctly guessed that actor Stanley Tucci made martinis for “Live” host Kelly Ripa and guest host Michael Weatherly of CBS’ “Bull.”

HOW DID HE WIN ALL THOSE TIMES?

Since retiring, entering to be on the contest and watching and recording the show has been part of his routine.

“It is almost like an addiction,” he said.

If  “Live with Kelly” happens to call -- as it has those 11 times -- Walker reviews his recording and takes notes. 

He noted that the contest often relates to the show’s first guest. 

>> MORE: Why Ellen DeGeneres loves Dayton

Walker won a trip to St. Lucia  on “Live!” last year, and went on that trip alone in January after his companion could not make the trip. He said he made friends and had a great time.

He and his now-late wife Connie went on the trip he won to the Bahamas.

“She always called it her happy place,” Walker said.

Walker is also a frequent K99.1FM contest winner. 

Like this news organization, K99.1FM  is a Cox Media Group Company.   

>> MORE: Regis Philbin talks about his broken relationship with former co-host Kelly Ripa on 'Larry King Now'

 

Trump sounds off after 3 CNN employees resign over retracted Russia story

Published: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 @ 8:47 AM

President Donald Trump took to Twitter early Tuesday to sound off after three employees on CNN’s new investigative unit resigned Monday over a retracted online story regarding the Senate’s Russia investigation.

"Wow, CNN had to retract big story on 'Russia,' with 3 employees forced to resign," he wrote. "What about all the other phony stories they do? FAKE NEWS!"

He added later: “Fake News CNN is looking at big management changes now that they got caught falsely pushing their phony Russian stories. Ratings way down!”

He continued: “So they caught Fake News CNN cold, but what about NBC, CBS & ABC? What about the failing @nytimes & @washingtonpost? They are all Fake News!”

Thomas Frank, a veteran reporter who wrote the story; his editor, Eric Lichtblau, who recently came from the New York Times; and Lex Haris, the man who oversaw the CNN Investigates unit and has worked at CNN since 2001, chose to depart Monday. Frank and Lichtblau worked out of the CNN D.C. bureau; Haris was based in New York.

A spokesman for CNN said: “In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story’s publication.”

The story, which linked Anthony Scaramucci, a hedge-fund manager close to Trump, to a Russian investment fund allegedly being investigated by a Senate intelligence committee, did not go through the proper fact-checking process, CNN said. The retracted story cited a single anonymous source.

>> Read more trending news

“The story wasn’t solid enough to publish as-is,” one of the people briefed on the investigation told CNN media writer Brian Stelter.

As The Washington Post noted, this mistake provided right-wing media fodder that feeds into the perception that CNN is improperly going after Trump. Breitbart dubbed the news “Very Fake News” in a headline.

In the past couple of years, CNN has been aggressively beefing up its investigative forces.

“CNN needs to be an organization that breaks news, not just an organization that covers breaking news or talks about breaking news on television,” Andrew Morse, the executive vice president of editorial for CNN/U.S. and general manager of CNN digital worldwide, told NPR in January. “There’s no better way to do that than to invest in investigative reporting.”

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Related

Serena Williams fires back at McEnroe for snarky ‘No. 700’ comment

Published: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

Tennis pro Serena Williams responded to former tennis great John McEnroe’s comments to NPR about how she would rank if she played against men.
Graham Denholm/Getty Images

Tennis great Serena Williams fired back after former tennis star John McEnroe said Williams would rank "like No. 700 in the world" if she played on the men’s circuit.

>> Read more trending news

In an interview with NPR on Sunday, McEnroe said Williams is the greatest female player in history, but she wouldn’t be one of the greatest ever.

Williams disagreed.

“Dear John,” Williams wrote in a statement on Twitter on Monday. “I adore and respect you but please please keep me out of your statements that are not factually based. I’ve never played anyone ranked ‘there’ no do I have time. Respect me and my privacy as I’m trying to have a baby. Good day sir.”

Even though his comments came off as an insult, McEnroe did not apologize for his comments on CBS This Morning on Tuesday.

“I don't want anything to go wrong with Serena because she's pregnant,” McEnroe said on CBS This Morning. “I don't want to upset her or whatever it was. I think she was doing it tongue-in-cheek as well, and I think that deep down we're talking about something, I can't even believe we're talking about it.”

McEnroe, 58, won seven Grand Slam titles during his career while Williams has, so far, won 23.

>> Related: Ilie Nastase under fire for comment about Serena Williams

Williams, who is more than seven months pregnant with her first child, is also making news for her nude photo shoot for Vanity Fair’s August cover. 

Wearing little more than a hip chain and nude underwear,  according to Eonline, Williams, 35, showed off her baby bump in a photo strikingly similar to actress Demi Moore’s 1991 nude cover shot for “Vanity Fair.” 

Both photos were shot by famous photographer Annie Leibovitz.

Williams is engaged to Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian, the baby’s father, and said in the magazine interview that she had been caught off guard by her pregnancy.

The couple is planning to tie the knot sometime this fall.

Alec Baldwin reveals Trump was invited to appear with him on ‘SNL’

Published: Thursday, May 04, 2017 @ 4:23 PM

Actor Alec Baldwin is shown here delivering remarks at the National Press Club in Washington in 2012. Baldwin told Ellen DeGeneres on Wednesday President Donald Trump was invited to appear on ‘SNL’ in February, but ‘he didn’t show up.’
PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images

 

Nearly 7 million people tuned in to watch Donald Trump host “SNL” in 2015. Trump’s episode was the show’s highest-rated episode in three years.

>> Read more trending news

According to regular “SNL” Trump impersonator Alec Baldwin, Trump almost returned to Studio 8H again earlier this year.

On Wednesday’s episode of “Ellen,” Baldwin — who hosted “SNL” in February and beat Trump’s episode in the ratings — told Ellen DeGeneres, “I can’t imagine what it would be like if I met him [now], if I ran into him.”

He went on, “When we did the show, when I hosted “SNL” this season, we asked him to come. We invited him to come, we were so hopeful he would come, but he didn’t show up.”

Baldwin has been impersonating Trump on “SNL” since last year in a spot-on performance of the Commander-in-Chief.

Saturday Night Live” has spoofed Trump repeatedly in the past year, and other administration officials, too, like press secretary Sean Spicer and advisor Steve Bannon. 

>> Related: Baldwin’s back as ‘SNL’ skewers Trump, Ivanka, Sessions

Trump has taken to Twitter repeatedly to blast Baldwin and the show over the spoofing.

 

Michael Jackson’s family remembers him on 8th anniversary of his death

Published: Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ 4:44 PM

On the eighth anniversary of the death of pop icon Michael Jackson, some of his family members are remembering him in different ways.

ABC News reported that members of the Jackson family have made social media posts and tribute performances.

The late singer’s brothers -- Jermaine, Jackie, Tito and Marlon -- performed as The Jacksons at England’s Glastonbury Festival Friday. Dressed in military-style jackets similar to those worn by their brother, they performed “Can You Feel It,” the group’s 1981 single. 

The brothers also sang The Jackson 5’s “I'll Be There” and Michael Jackson’s “Gone Too Soon,” dedicating both to Michael Jackson.

Related: Janet Jackson loving motherhood as she gets back into her music, producer says

Jermaine Jackson wrote a message about his brother on Twitter before the performance, saying, “We'll be 4 brothers on stage joined by Michael in spirit. Through the music we made together, we find comfort in memories, esp (sic) this weekend.”

“We all love and miss you,” LaToya Jackson, Michael Jackson’s older sister, wrote on Twitter.

Michael Jackson’s daughter, Paris Jackson, also shared thoughts on Twitter. 

According to E! News, she also got a new tattoo on her foot that reads, “Applehead.” The website reported that the word was a term of endearment Michael Jackson was known to use for his loved ones.

The tattoo is now one of several she has to honor her father.

“With every step i take, you lift my foot and guide me forward. Love you,” she captioned the photo of her new tattoo on Instagram.

with every step i take, you lift my foot and guide me forward. love you 🍏

A post shared by Paris-Michael K. Jackson (@parisjackson) on

Michael Jackson died June 25, 2009, at age 50. The cause of death was cardiac arrest as the result of a mixture of medications in his system.