log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, March 02, 2018 @ 9:22 PM
While the queen was touring the city of Dunedin on New Zealand’s south island on Oct. 14, 1981, a mentally disturbed teenager named Christopher Lewis fired a single shot toward the her as she exited her motorcade at the Otago Museum, according to papers from the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS). No one was harmed in the incident.
Lewis turned himself in to local police, who found a .22-caliber rifle and a used cartridge in the building where he had used the firearm. Official believed that the incident would damage the country’s chances of another royal visit, so they only sought firearms and robbery charges against the teen, the documents suggest.
“Current police investigations into the shots have been conducted discreetly, and most media representatives probably have the impression that the noise was caused by a firework of some description,” a 1981 memo from the intelligence service said.
“There is a worry, however, that in court the press may make the connections between the date of the offence and the Queen’s visit,” it added.
“Lewis did indeed originally intend to assassinate the Queen,” the intelligence memo reads. “However [he] did not have a suitable vantage point from which to fire, nor a sufficiently high-powered rifle for the range from the target,” Agence France-Presse reported.
Lewis informed officials that he was a member of a right-wing militia group known as the National Imperial Guerilla Army, although police soon concluded the organization only had three members, which included a higher-ranked figure called the Polar Bear and another called The Snowman, who reportedly issued an order to “terrorize Dunedin.”
Lewis eventually ended up in jail after he was convicted of a string of offenses. He committed suicide in his cell in 1997, authorities said.
The details have prompted a fresh police investigation into the alleged “cover up.”
Published: Friday, March 16, 2018 @ 11:35 AM
— Cardi B may be performing at Coachella in April with a baby bump.
According to TMZ, the rapper is pregnant with her first child with her fiance Offset.
Citing unnamed sources, the website says Cardi is due the first week of July and will be around seven months pregnant when she performs at Coachella.
If TMZ’s report is true, Offset, who’s in the rap group Migos, would be having his fourth child. The 25-year-old is already a father to two sons, Jordan and Kody, and a daughter named Kaela.
Neither Cardi nor Offset have confirmed TMZ’s claim.
Published: Thursday, March 15, 2018 @ 4:14 PM
— It sounds like Tim McGraw will be taking it easy, after giving fans quite a scare last weekend.
The country music superstar collapsed onstage after his performance of “Humble and Kind” at the C2C Festival in Dublin, Ireland, on March 11.
After the incident, he was carried off the stage by a medical staffer, and his wife and touring partner, Faith Hill, took the microphone to explain that her husband had been “super dehydrated.” She also made the decision to end the show at that point and keep Tim from returning to the stage that night.
Now, Tim is opening up for the first time since the unsettling incident.
He gave an update about his health after touching down at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City on March 12. He explained to TMZ that he is now “feeling good,” and also confirmed that his onstage collapse was, indeed, due to “lots of flying and dehydration.” He then added that he has to put his intense fitness routine on the back burner for a while.
“I’ve got to cut short my workouts,” the 50-year-old star, who is known for his washboard abs, said while walking through the terminal with his wife and crew.
Aside from making a few changes to his daily schedule, Tim seemed to be in good spirits, as he offered up plenty of smiles and a casual thumbs up before jumping into a vehicle.
We’re glad to hear that Tim is on the mend, especially since he’ll soon return to the road for his and Faith’s joint tour. The country couple’s “Soul2Soul The World Tour” picks up on May 31 in Richmond, Virginia.
Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 @ 5:05 PM
LONDON, England — It seems that Prince George might be working on other career opportunities outside of being the future King of England.
On Tuesday, George’s dad, Prince William, opened up about his career aspirations while attending The Met Excellence Awards at Kensington Palace with Prince George. While at the event, William talked with several honorees about their respective career paths, William joked that his son might be considering a career in law enforcement.
“We are recruiting, actually, so if George and Charlotte are keen?” PC Jayne Richardson reportedly joked to William at the event.
This isn’t the first time William has been candid about his son’s fascination with the boys in blue. In November, the future father-of-three was photographed hand-delivering his son’s Christmas list to Santa Claus in Finland. And what was on the top of the young prince’s wish list? A toy “police car,” of course!
It sounds like George has it all figured out if being king doesn’t work out for him!
Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 1:50 PM
In the Feb. 26 incident, Locklear, 56, was arrested after she allegedly assaulted her boyfriend, Chris Heisser.
When police arrived, the actress became increasingly threatening and combative. She allegedly threatened to “shoot (police) if they ever came to her house again.” Police later returned to her home with a search warrant to look for a firearm in her name, but it was not recovered. Locklear was not home at the time of the search.
TMZ reported that Locklear was not at home at the time of the search because she had checked herself into a treatment facility. The latest stint in rehab isn’t her first. She has sought treatment five previous times, including one stay last year.