Former ‘Power Ranger’ actor pleads guilty to killing roommate with sword

Published: Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 2:48 PM
Updated: Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 3:10 PM

Former ‘Power Ranger’ actor pleads guilty to killing roommate with sword

Former “Power Rangers” star Ricardo Medina pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter on Thursday, according to prosecutors.

>> Read more trending news

The 38-year-old entered the plea in Los Angeles County Superior Court and admitted to using a “Conan the Barbarian” sword to stab his roommate, Josh Sutter, to death in 2015, The Associated Press reported.

According to the Los Angeles Times, investigators said the two were arguing over the way Medina’s girlfriend parked her car before the stabbing.

Medina appeared as the red Power Ranger in three versions of the popular series: “Power Rangers Wild Force” (2002), “Power Rangers Wild Force: Identity Crisis” (2002) and “Power Rangers Samurai” (2001).

He faces up to six years in state prison.

Cher drops from Flint water crisis movie, cites family issue

Published: Saturday, March 25, 2017 @ 12:33 PM

Cher drops from Flint water crisis movie, cites family issue

Cher will no longer appear as planned in “Flint,” a Lifetime original movie about contaminated river water that became a main water source in the Michigan city in 2014.

The announcement came weeks after news was released that the 70-year-old singer would star in and produce the film.

>> Read more trending news

Cher, who has helped donate more than 100,000 bottles of clean drinking water to the residents of Flint, cited “a serious family issue” as the reason for dropping out.

“This has been a project so near and dear to my heart, and I was truly looking forward to helping tell this story,” she said in a statement. “Unfortunately, I will be unable to leave Los Angeles during the scheduled filming as I am dealing with a serious family issue that prevents me from going on location for the April filming. I’m so glad that [producers] Craig [Zadan] and Neil [Meron] plan to move ahead, and I know that this Lifetime movie will be done beautifully.”

According to Deadline, producers have been in the process of casting other roles for “Flint,” but the film is still on track to begin production in Toronto next month.

The film is based on Time magazine’s February 2016 cover story by Josh Sanburn titled, “The Toxic Tap.”

Cher’s role was a Flint resident whose family was impacted by the crisis.

“Flint” is described as “a hard-hitting, fact-based drama that will explore the events that led to the toxic crime and shed light on politics of the poor management and the human element of residents who suffered and were ignored,” according to Variety magazine.

Katie Couric will also serve as an executive producer for the Sony TV-produced film.

This week, comedian Amy Schumer announced she will no longer star in another Sony-produced film as previously planned.

Beyoncé makes video call to teen with cancer

Published: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 11:25 AM

Beyoncé makes video call to teen with cancer

Beyoncé, who recently surprised fans by announcing that she is expecting twins, is gaining attention again for connecting with a fan in a special way.  

>> Read more trending news

The singer surprised a teenager battling a rare form of cancer with a video call on Wednesday, the New York Daily News reported

Ebony Banks, a high school student from Texas whose cancer has reached stage 4, dreamed of meeting the superstar. Her friends started the hashtag #EbobMeetsBeyonce to get her attention, the Daily News reported. 

Their plan worked. 

"It was like wow, it really happened," Shanya McKnight, Ebony’s friend, told KHOU. "We actually got her attention."

Beyoncé called the teen while she was in the hospital to say “I love you,” according to KHOU.

Banks lives in Houston, Beyoncé’s hometown.

Read more at the New York Daily News and KHOU.

Years after anti-semitic remarks, Mel Gibson continues donating to Jewish organization

Published: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 12:34 PM
Updated: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 12:05 PM

Years after anti-semitic remarks, Mel Gibson continues donating to Jewish organization

Mel Gibson has worked to make up for his infamous anti-semitic rant while he was being arrested for a DUI in 2006 by quietly helping Holocaust survivors in the years since.

The actor, who said, “Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world,” during the incident, has reportedly been working with the charity Survivor Mitzvah Project.

The Survivor Mitzvah Project works to “bring emergency aid to Holocaust survivors in Eastern Europe who are in desperate need of food, medicine, heat and shelter,” according to the founder of the organization.

>> Read more trending news

“Mel Gibson is helping Holocaust survivors in eight countries; it’s remarkable. I have a great respect for people who turn their lives around, and I think that everyone makes mistakes in life, and I think the real proof of what kind of human being you are is what you do with that mistake,” Zane Buzby, founder of the organization told Extra. “He’s educated himself. He’s done philanthropic work now, and I think that actions speak very loudly … and his actions have helped a lot of people.”

An unnamed source close to the actor told People magazine that Gibson has been working with Survivor Mitzvah Project for a few years now.

Last year, Gibson reminisced on his “unfortunate” incident, saying, “I’ve never discriminated against anyone or done anything that sort of supports that reputation. And for one episode in the back of a police car on eight double tequilas to sort of dictate all the work, life’s work and beliefs and everything else that I have and maintain for my life is really unfair.”

“Mel wants to be remembered for his work,” the unnamed source told People magazine. “He has worked on his issues and has definitely shaped up.”

Trump family expanding, Eric Trump expecting first baby with wife Lara

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 2:40 PM

Trump family expanding, Eric Trump expecting first baby with wife Lara

Eric and Lara Trump are expecting!

The couple revealed that they’ll welcome a son in September.

“We found out on my birthday, which was pretty cool,” Eric told People.

>> Read more trending news 

Lara, a former “Inside Edition” producer, revealed she’s in her second trimester and is feeling better.

“I was exhausted in the beginning,” she said. “It surprised me, because I’m a very active person, and until the fatigue hit, I didn’t believe it would actually happen to me. It really affected me. But I’m feeling really good now.”

The new baby will be President Donald Trump’s ninth grandchild. Eric’s brother, Donald Jr., has five children with wife Vanessa, and sister Ivanka has three little ones with her husband, Jared Kushner.

The couple is reportedly thinking about baby names.

“We really loved the name Charlie, but we’d already named our dog that, so it’s out,” Eric joked.

The mom-to-be said she isn’t feeling any pregnancy jitters and is looking forward to motherhood.

“I knew I always wanted kids someday,” she said, adding her husband is going to “be an amazing dad.”

“The nieces and nephews love hanging with him. He’s the cool uncle. He’s watched ‘Frozen many times,” she said.

As for keeping the pregnancy news under wraps, Lara admitted she was nervous her famous father-in-law may spill the beans before they were ready.

“Eric’s dad was so excited,” she said. “We were worried he’d blurt it out at a press conference.”

Lara also shared the happy news on Instagram with fans.

“Eric and I are excited to add a baby boy to our pack in September,” she wrote alongside the snowy family photo with their dogs.

Eric and I are excited to add a boy to our pack in September! 💙 #BabyTrump

A post shared by Lara Trump (@laraleatrump) on