log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 12:38 PM
Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 1:40 PM
— Update 1:45 p.m. Nov. 21: PBS announced Tuesday that it is ending its relationship with award-winning journalist Charlie Rose in the wake of allegations that he sexually harassed women working on, or aspiring to work on, his self-titled PBS show.
"In light of yesterday's revelations, PBS has terminated its relationship with Charlie Rose and cancelled distribution of his programs," network officials said Tuesday in a statement. "PBS expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect."
From PBS: "In light of yesterday’s revelations, PBS has terminated its relationship with Charlie Rose and cancelled distribution of his programs. PBS expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect."— Kate Aurthur (@KateAurthur) November 21, 2017
PBS officials had earlier announced that they were pulling his self-titled show after eight women claimed that they were sexually harassed by Rose between the 1990s and 2011. Bloomberg also pulled his show.
Earlier Tuesday, CBS News announced that Rose was being dismissed in light of the allegations.
Rose has apologized for the incidents, but added that he doesn’t “believe that all of these allegations are accurate.”
Update 12:31 p.m. Nov. 21: CBS News has fired Charlie Rose in the wake of allegations that the well-known journalist made unwanted sexual advances and groped women who worked or aspired to work on his self-titled PBS show between the 1990s and 2011.
“Despite Charlie's important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace -- a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work,” CBS News President David Rhodes wrote Tuesday in a memo sent to staff members. “We need to be such a place.”
NEW: CBS News terminates Charlie Rose following allegations of sexual misconduct. "There is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace," says CBS News President David Rhodes. pic.twitter.com/CPgVRjsvXJ— CBS News (@CBSNews) November 21, 2017
Eight women told The Washington Post that Rose “made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.”
The women ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged encounters.
Rose apologized for his behavior in a statement on Monday.
"I am greatly embarrassed," he wrote. "I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realized I was mistaken.”
My statement in full. pic.twitter.com/3kvFrqF2dT— Charlie Rose (@charlierose) November 20, 2017
Both PBS and Bloomberg pulled Rose’s self-titled show in the wake of the allegations.
Original report: CBS News and PBS have suspended award-winning journalist Charlie Rose after allegations from eight women that the longtime talk show host and host of “CBS This Morning” sexually harassed them dating back to the 1990s until 2011, according to the Washington Post.
“Charlie Rose is suspended immediately while we look into this matter. These allegations are extremely disturbing and we take them very seriously,” a CBS spokesperson said in a written statement, the Post reported.
CBS suspends Charlie Rose after Washington Post story reveals long history of troubling behavior with women who worked for him.— Joe Flint (@JBFlint) November 20, 2017
Charlie Rose suspended from CBS News, and PBS and Bloomberg suspend his show, after Post report of sexual harassment allegations https://t.co/xiT760CBbJ— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) November 20, 2017
Rose, 75, made unwanted sexual advances and allegedly groped women who worked on his show “Charlie Rose The Week,” which aired on PBS, but was produced by an independent company, and Bloomberg TV. He’s also accused of appearing naked in front of some of the women.
Both PBS and Bloomberg have pulled his show.
“PBS was shocked to learn today of these deeply disturbing allegations. We are immediately suspending distribution of ‘Charlie Rose,'” a PBS spokesperson said in a statement, according to the Huffington Post.
“PBS does not fund this nightly program or supervise its production, but we expect our producers to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect.”
And here's Bloomberg (which also broadcasts "Charlie Rose"): "We are deeply disturbed to learn of these allegations and are immediately suspending the show from airing on Bloomberg TV."— John Koblin (@koblin) November 20, 2017
The women involved in the accusations against Rose ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged incidents.
Rose issued an apology on Twitter, calling his behavior “inappropriate .”
“I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken,” he said.
My statement in full. pic.twitter.com/3kvFrqF2dT— Charlie Rose (@charlierose) November 20, 2017
Rose is the latest in a string of powerful men publicly accused of inappropriate behavior toward women over the past three decades, beginning last month with rape accusations and sexual harassment allegations against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Also on Monday, New York Times reporter Glenn Thrush was suspended after a report that he behaved inappropriately with female journalists.
NEW: Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them — with nudity, groping and lewd calls. A story that's been in the works for weeks (another publication is doing an expose as well) https://t.co/u40lqnsyF5— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) November 20, 2017
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 10:54 PM
— Garth Brooks played a never-before-released song on his Facebook series, “Inside Studio G,” this week in support of Florida school shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez and the upcoming “March for Our Lives” protest happening across the country this Saturday, March 24.
In the final segment of his March 19 Facebook show, Garth read excerpts from Emma’s letter explaining the purpose behind the march to end gun violence.
She writes, “This isn’t a political rally. It’s literally a march for our lives. Please help us amplify our voices by using yours. Be part of this moment in time. I believe the young people in this country can change the world, and wouldn’t that be something?”
Garth was moved by her statement and said, “OK, Miss Emma. It’s not yours to change, it’s yours. You understand that? You’re the future. Our children are our future. Your parents are fine with this. Trust me. All parents are. So, this is your world. Take it. Shape it. Mold it.”
Garth also gave Emma and the rest of the marchers some advice on how to deal with those who oppose their efforts.
“Just remember when you march, you have a voice, and you’re representing yourself when you march,” Garth said. “So, how you march is so important. Be patient. Be loving, because there might be some cross voices that enter in this march. Be tolerant. Be loving. Do not let hate win.”
Garth also told Emma that she wasn’t just marching for herself and her friends who were lost in the Stoneman Douglas school shooting last month in Parkland, Florida. She’s also marching for the generations to come.
Garth explains, “Try to remember this — in the blink of an eye, you’re walking for your children that you haven’t had yet. Because this is something new. Your generation is the generation for the school shootings. Let’s make sure the next generation is not. Fair enough?”
After that, Garth performed a song he’s never released that fit in perfectly with his message for Emma and her fellow marchers. Garth got visibly emotional as he sang the lyrics about working for positive change for future generations.
Check it out starting at just before the 25 minute mark in the Facebook video above.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 5:21 PM
NEW YORK — Legendary rocker Bruce Springsteen is doing so well on Broadway, he’s staying for the rest of the year.
The veteran musician’s mega-successful one-man show, “Springsteen on Broadway,” has already been extended twice. Now, The Boss has decided to add 81 more shows between July 10 and Dec. 15 for a third and final extension.
Tickets for the new dates at the Walter Kerr Theatre will go on sale at 11 a.m. March 28 through Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan program. Only fans who previously registered and have not purchased tickets will be eligible to receive an invitation to the onsale. Those who are eligible will receive additional information on March 26.
A digital lottery will continue to operate through the extension of the show for those interested in purchasing tickets after the March 28 onsale. For details, visit www.luckyseat.com.
“Springsteen on Broadway” opened Oct. 12, 2017. By the end of his run in December, Springsteen will have played 236 performances.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 4:19 PM
— The widow of country music legend Glen Campbell is telling her side of the story in the legal battle over her late husband’s estate. Kim Campbell also addresses allegations that she barred his children from seeing him.
Campbell is breaking her silence on the legal battle currently playing out in court over her late husband’s reported $50 million fortune. Several of the country crooner’s older children have claimed their step-mother barred them from seeing their father when he was in an Alzheimer’s care facility in Nashville. She’s denying the allegations.
“I never ever denied them a visit — ever,” Campbell told “Inside Edition.” “They never, ever called me to see how he was doing or if they could help.”
Three of the musician’s older children, including his eldest son, Travis, have filed a lawsuit seeking what they claim is their piece of the family fortune. They were left out of their father’s will, and Kim Campbell says she had nothing to do with that decision.
“That was all done in 2002, and that was a choice that was made by Glen — not me — and there were reasons for it,” she said.
Campbell also claimed Travis Campbell did not visit his father in the 20 years before the superstar’s death in 2017. She said the allegations against her by the children have been difficult.
“It has been very painful and hurtful. It’s a nightmare to have people on the internet threatening to kill you because they think you are this horrible person who wouldn’t let people visit, which is totally false,” she said.
Campbell is also speaking out about her husband’s former girlfriend, country star Tanya Tucker, who released a song about him titled “Forever Loving You,” following Campbell’s death last year.
“This Tanya Tucker, who dated my husband for a hot minute 35 years ago, going on TV the day after my husband dies, [promoting] ‘Forever Loving You,’ [and] exploiting my husband,” the angry widow said.
The proceeds from that song benefit Alzheimer’s disease research, and Tucker maintained her motives were pure in writing and releasing the song.
A statement from Tucker’s press rep reads, “Tanya has nothing but love in her heart for the entire Campbell family. Tanya released ‘Forever Loving You’ last year in tribute to Glen and to raise awareness for all those suffering with this heartbreaking disease.”
Meanwhile, Kim Campbell is moving forward with her advocacy work for Alzheimer’s patients and their families. She has teamed up with the Global Alzheimer’s Platform Foundation and ride service Lyft to help provide transportation for people with the disease who are participating in clinical trials.
“It’s devastating to lose someone to this disease. It’s heartbreaking, but I want to bring something positive out of it,” she said.
Published: Friday, March 23, 2018 @ 3:29 PM
Here are 10 fun facts about the genius known as Harry Houdini.
Houdini was born Erik Weisz on Mar. 24, 1874, in Budapest, Austria-Hungary. His family immigrated to the United States in July 1878, settled in Wisconsin, and changed the spelling of their last name to Weiss. Young Houdini’s first named changed as well, from Erik to Ehrich.
The Weiss family eventually moved to New York City, where 9-year-old Ehrich took a job as a trapeze artist. He launched his professional magic career in 1891 and changed his name once again. “Harry” is a derivative of his childhood nickname, Ehrie, while “Houdini” is an homage to one of his idols, French magician Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin.
In 1893, he married Wilhelmina “Bess” Rahner, who would become his stage assistant.
Houdini got his big break in 1899, when he impressed manager Martin Beck with his ability to break out of handcuffs. Beck booked the Houdinis on the vaudeville circuit. They eventually took their escape show to Europe, where Houdini challenged local police in several countries to keep him restrained with shackles and locked in jail.
Beginning in 1907, Houdini’s American productions got bigger and more dangerous. They included escaping from a locked milk can filled with water; releasing himself from a straitjacket while dangling by his feet from a rope above a city street; and the famous Chinese Water Torture Cell, which forced Houdini to hold his breath for more than three minutes while getting out of a glass and steel cabinet overflowing with water, all while suspended upside down.
One 1915 trick nearly killed Houdini. He was buried alive in a dirt pit, then started to panic as he desperately clawed his way out. No one could hear his cries for help. His hand eventually broke free, and he was pulled to safety — and passed out once he was back on the ground.
Magic wasn’t Houdini’s only talent. He founded his own film company, The Film Development Corporation, and starred in several productions. He was also an accomplished aviator who made one of the first aerial flights in Australia. He even taught American soldiers how to escape sinking ships and get out of ropes or handcuffs in case they were captured by the enemy during World War I.