United unveils 10 policy changes, will pay bumped passengers up to $10,000

Published: Thursday, April 27, 2017 @ 3:01 AM

VIDEO: Passenger Removed From United Airlines Flight

United Airlines has announced 10 policy changes after a video of passenger David Dao being dragged off a plane went viral earlier this month.

>> Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat

In what may be the biggest change, the airline will now offer travelers as much as $10,000 to relinquish their seats on overbooked flights, up from $1,350, according to Bloomberg.

>> United Airlines passengers describe scene as man dragged off flight

In a Thursday news release, the airline also pledged to take the following actions:

  • “Limit use of law enforcement to safety and security issues only.
  • “Not require customers seated on the plane to give up their seat involuntarily unless safety or security is at risk.
  • “Establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions such as using nearby airports, other airlines or ground transportation to get customers to their final destination.
  • “Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
  • “Provide employees with additional annual training.
  • “Create an automated system for soliciting volunteers to change travel plans.
  • “Reduce the amount of overbooking.
  • “Empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment.
  • “Eliminate the red tape on permanently lost bags by adopting a 'no questions asked' policy on lost luggage.”
Why Passengers Get Bumped and What They Can Get For it

In a statement, United CEO Oscar Munoz apologized for the incident and said the airline is "taking concrete, meaningful action to make things right and ensure nothing like this ever happens again."

>> United Airlines changes policy after man dragged from plane

"Our review shows that many things went wrong that day, but the headline is clear: Our policies got in the way of our values and procedures interfered in doing what's right," Munoz said. "This is a turning point for all of us at United, and it signals a culture shift toward becoming a better, more customer-focused airline. Our customers should be at the center of everything we do, and these changes are just the beginning of how we will earn back their trust."

>> Read more trending news

Ikea reissues dresser recall after 8th child fatality

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 11:32 AM

FILE - In this Tuesday, June 28, 2016, file photo, with two Ikea dressers displayed at right, Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman Elliot Kaye speaks during a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington. Ikea is relaunching a recall of 29 million chests and dressers after the death of a seventh child attributed to one of the dressers tipping over. Ikea CEO Lars Petersson said the company wants to increase awareness of the recall campaign, first announced in June 2016, for several types of chest and dressers that can easily tip over if not properly anchored to a wall.
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File/AP
FILE - In this Tuesday, June 28, 2016, file photo, with two Ikea dressers displayed at right, Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman Elliot Kaye speaks during a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington. Ikea is relaunching a recall of 29 million chests and dressers after the death of a seventh child attributed to one of the dressers tipping over. Ikea CEO Lars Petersson said the company wants to increase awareness of the recall campaign, first announced in June 2016, for several types of chest and dressers that can easily tip over if not properly anchored to a wall.(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File/AP)

Those who own an Ikea Malm dresser should immediately stop using it if it isn't anchored to the wall, Ikea officials said Tuesday.

The recalled chests and dressers pose a serious tip-over and entrapment danger that has killed eight children so far, according to a news release. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission posted about the re-announced recall Tuesday.

>> Read more trending news

Consumers can contact Ikea for a refund or a free wall-anchoring kit. Ikea will pick up the recalled dresser for free, or will provide a free in-come wall-anchoring service. 

Due to another child dying because of the dresser, Ikea is re-issuing the recall

So far, Ikea has received 186 reports of “tip-over” incidents involving the chests and dressers, 91 of which injured children. About 17.3 million units have been made.

Related: IKEA recalls millions of drawers after third child is killed

There have been eight reports of children dying due to the chest and dressers tipping over, the most recent one being a 2-year-old boy in California who was trapped under an unanchored MALM three-drawer dressed that tipped over.

A list of recalled chest and dresser models can be found at Ikea.com. For more information, customers can contact Ikea at Ikea-USA.com/secureitkits or by calling 888-966-4532.

J. Crew apologizes after photo of black model with messy hair sparks controversy

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 1:13 AM

J. Crew Criticized For Photo Of Model With Unkempt Hair

J. Crew is facing criticism after a photo of one of its models and her seemingly unkempt hair surfaced online.

>> On MyAJC.com: Bad makeover of black woman's hair on Today Show points to bigger issues in haircare industry

The black woman, dressed in a Madewell dress, was photographed with her natural hair messily pulled back in a ponytail. But everyone wasn’t impressed with the look.

>> Read more trending news 

One Twitter user took to the platform to express her disapproval. She uploaded the picture of the model with the caption, “J. Crew..... girl.... y’all wrong.”

Many seemed to agree with her sentiment, because the post soon went viral, racking up more than 11,000 retweets and 20,000 likes. 

>> See the tweet here

Several chimed in, accusing the fashion brand of prepping the model for the shoot without using the proper practices needed to style African-American hair. 

>> Shea Moisture commercial: Ad receives backlash from black women

Others, including the model, Marihenny Pasible, thought the look was in line with J. Crew’s relaxed and natural campaign.

Some challenged the critics, asking them to embrace the care-free look for all cultures.

>> On AJC.com: #BlackHairChallenge: A celebration of black hair on Twitter

After the barrage of comments, J. Crew released a statement on Twitter.

“J.Crew strives to represent every race, gender, and background. We sincerely apologize for the styling of this model and the offense that was caused,” the company wrote. 

Jury awards man $7.5M after being injured by Walmart watermelon display

Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 12:34 PM

File image of watermelons.
Pixabay
File image of watermelons.(Pixabay)

An Alabama man has been awarded $7.5 million by a jury after he said he tripped and broke his hip while shopping for a watermelon at Walmart.

The verdict was rendered Wednesday in a Phenix City courtroom, The Associated Press reported. The jury awarded $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. 

>> Read more trending news

Henry Walker, 61, sued Walmart for the 2015 incident in which he claimed the store was negligent for failing to cover a pallet beneath the watermelon display. His foot became tangled in the pallet, causing him to trip and break his hip, according to court documents.

Walmart officials insist that the watermelon displays are safe, and its stores continue to use the pre-packaged displays from producers.

Walmart plans on appealing the decision, The Associated Press reported.

Coupon scam: Aldi continues to warn customers of fake offers on Facebook

Published: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 @ 1:55 PM

Another coupon scam is targeting Aldi customers. Photo by Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)
Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images
Another coupon scam is targeting Aldi customers. Photo by Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)(Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)

Aldi continues to battle fake coupon scams on Facebook.

WNEM reported that the latest fake coupon has a link to an illegitimate website and claims to give out a $40 coupon to customers who complete a survey.

>> Read more trending news

“Hey ALDI fans! Looks like another fake ALDI coupon is making its way around the internet,” the low-cost grocery store said in a Monday Facebook post. “We’re sorry for any confusion, but we don’t offer electronic coupons and they won’t be accepted at our stores. We’re currently working on fixing the situation, but we’d love your help. Feel free to share this post to help us spread the word.”

The November scam is the latest in a string of fake coupons claiming to be from the retailer.

Related: If you see this Publix coupon, it's a fake

In June,  WTHR reported that another bogus coupon was circulating that claimed to offer $75 off an $80 purchase. 

“This was not authorized by ALDI. ALDI does not issue electronic coupons. Sorry for the confusion,” the grocery chain said on Twitter.

In March, WSYR reported that Facebook user Melissa Sheriff noticed a post that claimed to offer a $100-off coupon at Aldi stores, and it seemed too good to be true.

"Next thing I know everyone is sharing it," Sheriff said. "People are sharing it on each other's pages and messaging the coupon to each other and tagging each other in posts saying, ‘Great deal, great deal, you have to print out this coupon.'"

Related: Kroger warns shoppers of fake ‘$60 off’ coupon

Aaron Sumida, vice president of Aldi’s Tully division, issued the following statement in response to the scam:

We understand the confusion that some customers have experienced with digital coupon scams affecting ALDI and other retailers. On Friday, we shared a post on our Facebook page to let our customers know that ALDI doesn't issue electronic coupons or gift cards. These offers weren't authorized or distributed by ALDI and will not be honored at ALDI locations. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this situation may cause our customers.

Aldi addressed the scam in a March 8 Facebook post.

“There’s a fake ALDI coupon making its way around the internet…again. We don’t offer electronic coupons and they won’t be accepted at our stores. We’re working on fixing the situation, so if you’d like to help us out and spread the news, feel free to share this post. We’re sorry for the confusion,” the company said.

Aldi is not the only retailer being used in fake coupon scams. Kroger and Publix grocery stores have also been victims of coupons claiming to offer $60 and $75 off of purchases.

The takeaway for many of these offers is that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.