Teen intentionally run over twice, officials say: What we know now

Published: Thursday, November 02, 2017 @ 7:28 AM

Kimmel Lane 17-year-old struck by vehicle

Two women were arrested and incarcerated after investigators say a 17-year-old girl was twice intentionally run over by a vehicle late Tuesday afternoon in Jefferson Twp.

Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies initially said the girl was in serious condition late Tuesday, but her status was downgraded to critical on Wednesday, according to sheriff’s office personnel. The pedestrian crash occurred in the 1500 block of Kimmel Lane.

“The girl got into the car, started it up and pressed on the gas,” said Seantel McGarick, 18, who said she’s been in a relationship with the victim for about six months. “(She) ran her over and then ran her over again.”

»RELATED: Girl, 17, run over twice by car in Jefferson Twp.

Here are five things to know about the hit-and-run incident:

1. Suspects booked: Tara Dunbar, 34, and Khadijah Thompson, 23, were booked into the Montgomery County Jail on Tuesday evening. Dunbar was being held on an informal abduction charge while Thompson was held on two counts of felonious assault.

2. The argument. Deputies said the girl was speaking with two women when there was an argument, and the girl started running before the women hit the girl with their car. McGairk told this news organization that some of the altercation, caught on cell phone video, happened because one of the suspects wanted to date her.

3. Victim’s injuries. McGairk, who said she was hit by a suspect carrying a gun, said she spent all night in the hospital after being questioned all day. She said her girlfriend has several broken bones: “I just want her to recover,” McGairk said.

4. Criminal records. Thompson had been sued in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court by a man who said Thompson — whom the complaint termed “an inexperienced and incompetent driver” — drove a vehicle into his vehicle in October 2014. The case was dismissed earlier this year. Thompson also was found guilty of misdemeanor theft and a minor traffic violation.

» RELATED: Could jealousy by why 2 women allegedly ran over a teen, twice?

Dunbar had a weapons under disability case dismissed in 2011, minor traffic violations in 2014 and 2015 and a possession of controlled substance case in 2015.

5. What’s next? Sheriff’s officials said detectives are executing search warrants on two vehicles towed from the scene. Detectives will be reviewing the case with county prosecutors in the next few days to consider formal charges.

2 males sought in Kettering home invasion robbery

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:11 PM

FROM SCENE: 2 males sought in Kettering home invasion robbery

Police are continuing to look for two males who committed a home invasion robbery on Hazel Avenue. 

Investigators don't know what led the invaders to pick the home they did Wednesday afternoon, Kettering Police Patrolman John Jung said. 

According to the preliminary investigation, the two males forced their way inside just before 4 p.m., knocked down the resident and took property, Officer Jung said. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close

A K-9 unit was called to the scene as part of the investigation and he said police are interviewing neighbors, hoping to get a description of the robbers. 

Jung asked that if you have information you believe will help in this investigation, please call Kettering police at 937-296-2555.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Greater Dayton RTA buses could be rid of cash fares by 2020

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 7:33 PM

The Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority hopes to modernize its payment system and get rid of cash fares by 2020, officials said Wednesday.

More than half of RTA riders have migrated to passes, including monthly and weekly passes, said Mark Donaghy, CEO of the agency. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Premier Health to shut down Good Samaritan Hospital

The agency will work to become the first major transit authority in the nation to stop using cash, he said. 

RTA spends more than $1 million each year collecting and managing cash, and the future holds even more easy and convenient electronic forms of payment, he said. 

Customers will be able to load up electronic cards to pay their fares at various locations. 

"What we don't want to do is invest more money in something that has a short life span -- we think we can take this to the next level," Donaghy said.

Crews rescue pets in Fairborn house fire battalion chief says is a total loss

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 4:37 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 5:45 PM

FROM SCENE: Fairborn house fire

UPDATE @ 5:37 p.m.: Two adults and two children have been displaced and two pets had to be rescued in the Marchmont Drive house fire. 

Battalion Chief Laura Conley-Kerr, Fairborn Fire Department, said, firefighters revived one of the two pets found inside the burning home. 

"It looks like it's a total loss, from top to bottom," Conley-Kerr said. She estimates the damage to the house and contents at $45,000 to $68,000. 

The cause remains under investigation, she said. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close

There were heavy flames, with fire burning through the roof, when crews arrived, she said. 

The Red Cross has been called to assist the family, which has been displaced, Conley-Kerr said.

Although Conley-Kerr didn't specifically say the fire involved the kitchen, she advises all residents to have extinguishers in the home and a fire drill plan because many house fires involve the kitchen.

INITIAL REPORT

Crews are on the scene of a house fire in the 200 block of Marchmont Drive. 

Crews were dispatched just after 4 p.m. on a report of a structure fire, with flames reportedly through the roof.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Judge seals records in woman’s slaying  

There is no word whether anyone has been injured or whether the dwelling is occupied. 

We have a crew on the way. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Lawmaker Jeff Rezabek won’t run for re-election to Ohio House

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 4:25 PM

State Rep. Jeff Rezabek, R-Clayton.
State Rep. Jeff Rezabek, R-Clayton.

State Rep. Jeff Rezabek, R-Clayton, announced today he will not seek re-election and will instead run for an unspecified Montgomery County office.

Rezabek, an attorney specializing in juvenile cases, ran unsuccessfully for Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Juvenile division judge in 2012. He declined to say if he will run for the seat being vacated at the end of the year by Juvenile Judge Nick Kuntz, who cannot run for re-election due to age limitations for judges.

First elected to the Statehouse in 2014, Rezabek won a bitter re-election battle in 2016 against David Sparks of Clayton.

RELATED: Race for 43rd House district has turned ugly

Rezabek will announce his intentions on Thursday at an 11:30 a.m. news conference at the Dayton Racquet Club, 40 N. Main St., in Dayton.

Clayton Councilman Kenny Henning said he will file to run in the Republican primary for Rezabek’s seat.

Kenny Henning, Clayton councilman(Staff Writer)

Henning will make the formal announcement at an 11:30 a.m. news conference Friday at the Miami Valley Career Technology Center’s adult center, 6801 Hoke Road, Clayton.

RELATED: Rezabek bill would give judges more say on trying juveniles as adults

“I’m 100 percent invested in the community and I want to ensure that our 43rd House district has a strong champion to advocate for the district in Columbus.” said Henning, who is a judicial assistant to Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Erik Blaine.

A Clayton native who has served on the council since 2012, Henning said his campaign will focus on farming and agriculture, the concerns of small business owners and trying to restore Local Government Fund revenue slashed by the state legislature. He said he also wants to address the opioid addiction crisis.

RELATED: Donald Trump is the new president and local residents saw it happen in person

Montgomery County Commissioner Dan Foley has expressed interest in running for the seat in the Democratic primary, according to Mark Owens, chairman of the Montgomery County Democratic Party. Foley, who does not plan to run for re-election, is in his last year as a county commissioner. He did not respond to requests for comment.

Dan Foley, Montgomery County commissioner, speaks at the Engineers Club in Dayton. FILE(Staff Writer)

The only person who has obtained nominating petitions from the Montgomery County Board of Elections for the 43rd House seat is Ralph Dean Brill, a Brookville Democrat. He could not be reached for comment.

The filing deadline for the May 8 primary is Feb. 7.

RELATED: Dan Foley won’t run again for Montgomery County commission

Owens said the 43rd House district is about evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans and can be won by a Democrat like Foley.

“If he’s willing to get out and roll up his sleeves and work I think he can win it,” Owens said.

Owens said he has also discussed the 43rd House race with other possible candidates, but he declined to say who they are.

RELATED: Ohio could have two redistricting proposals on ballots this year

The district covers parts of Englewood, Clayton, Trotwood, western Montgomery County and all of Preble County.

Multiple people have pulled petitions to run for Foley’s county commission seat. Democrats include Montgomery County Treasurer Carolyn Rice and Daryl Ward, senior pastor of Omega Baptist Church in Dayton. Both Rice and Ward have turned in their nominating petitions.

RELATED: Candidates seek to replace Foley on Montgomery County commission

Republicans include former Miami Twp. Trustee Bob Matthews and current Miami Twp. Trustee Doug Barry, both of whom have turned in petitions. Petitions have been obtained but not submited by Greg Hart and Joshua Smith, both Dayton Republicans.

Other stores by Lynn Hulsey

Kucinich launches governor bid; is in area today

U.S. Senate candidates Renacci and Brown spar over Trump’s comment about immigrants

Husted wants new voting machines in every county in Ohio